[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs November 3, 2008

[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs November 3, 2008

** ALASKA. KNLS, 6150, weak but clear at 1436 Nov 3 during final English hour of the day, devotional message and quickly back to music at 1437, the station for limited-attention-spans; some adjacent QRM from 6145 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** AUSTRALIA [and non]. 5995 with roughly equal collision between YFR Open Forum via Petropavlovsk Kamchatskiy, and Radio Australia, both in English at 1439 Nov 3, making both of them useless (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** AUSTRIA. 17610, AWR ID in English at 1430 Nov 3, introducing service in Afar, and I do believe it was, as I could not understand a word of it from afar (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** BRAZIL. RNA, 11780, Nov 3 at 0714 with Brazilian songs, S9+22, plus weaker but plenty strong distorted matching spurs centered at 11721.5 and 11838.5. Don`t recall any such spurs reported before from this Brasília transmitter; plus and minus 58.5 kHz (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CHINA [and non]. 7525, Nov 3 at 1441, co-channel between two or three Chinese speaking stations, i.e. VOA Mandarin, 30 degrees from Thailand, and Chicom jamming.

9000 still with Firedrake, Nov 3 at 1443 check, as Sound of Hope seems to have settled there (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA. RHC SNAFU report for Nov 3: Tuned in 13760 at 1504 to find Despertar con Cuba announcers talking, so probably once again started replaying the 1100 UT show. Quickly checked all the other morning frequencies, and none of them were on: 11760, 12000, 13680, 15120, 15360, 15370, and finally at 1509, 13760 cut off the air. I suspect the replay is intended for internal listening only at the station during their mid-day break, but gets put on the air when engineers at the site are asleep at the switch (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CZECHIA [non]. R. Prague, via WRN, via CBC Overnight, via CBC Radio 1, via CBN via CKZN St. John`s, 6160, Monday Nov 3 at 0720 with ID, music, fair over QRM. Must be this, but does not match CBC Radio Overnight schedule at http://www.cbc.ca/overnight/schedule.html which shows R. Prague on weekdays appears as the second of four stations after 5:05 am local time, but 0720 UT would be 3:20 am AST, half an hour later in Nfld, but CBC programming is simultaneous in Nfld; just the clox are wrong. Is this sked now outdated? Of course, the 1:05 am local start means CKZU Vancouver is not into Overnight until 0905 UT (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ECUADOR. Checking La Voz de los Andes, HCJB to see if their timechex are wrong in the morning too, Nov 3 at 1359:30 on 11960 – correct for 9 am = 14 TU, but still announcing long-defunct 21455 frequency between 11690 and 11960, so have entered yet another month perpetuating that error (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** INDONESIA. VOI still on 9526 for day 18, Nov 3, quick check at 1318 in English with good but hummy signal; in Malay after 1400 had a lite het from something on 9525 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** KUWAIT. R. Kuwait, 11630 with bits of Qur`an interrupted by Arabic talk rather than singing, good signal but fluttery, 1446 Nov 3 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. OK`s newest AM radio station is on the air: 1120. This is the original KEOR 1110 in Atoka, SE Oklahoma, which was hijacked to Catoosa, Tulsa market, and frequency shifted in order to squeeze yet another AM station into The Metroplex, TX.

Heard Nov 3 from 1727 UT playing nothing but oldies cuts, segués, pauses ranging from 5 to 30 seconds, never any announcements, not even a legal ID at hourtop 1800, as I monitored until 1815. Why is it that new stations testing on the air think they can get away without legal IDs? Not off to a good start, but this is obviously what I am hearing, and DF fits.

Fair signal in Enid, some 200 km away, but splash at times from closer KLEY-1130 KS. Songs included Carrie Anne, I Get Around, Travelin` Man, Mother-in-Law, Surf City, World Without Love. Still going at 1935 recheck.

Per FCC listing, call is still KEOR, which should work for Tulsa too, as in eastern Oklahoma radio; 2.0 kW daytime, two-tower direxional; facility ID number 3651 to read all about it:
http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/amq?list=0&facid=3651
Which was extremely slow-loading, took some 5 minutes; is everybody looking it up already?

Pattern is more or less cardioid, major lobe at 185-190 degrees toward western Tulsa, minor lobe in opposite direxion, and null at 50 degrees toward KMOX (which has a poor groundwave signal across the Oxarx), and one to match at 325 degrees – would that be toward Portland or nothing in particular? SR/SS table for the coordinates shows 1300 and 2315 UT in November.

{BTW, the frequency is very slightly off, as a different BFO pitch could be heard on 1120 compared to stepping to 1130, 1140, 1150 and 1170 stations on the DX-398.}

Radio-locator.com shows site is on North Peoria Avenue near 106 East Street North, which would be Tulsa terminology; can`t see a tower on the street view. Tho COL is Catoosa, still gives address as a PO Box in Atoka! Tiger map via FCC shows location is actually next to Sperry, N of Tulsa, not Catoosa, which is NE of Tulsa. Address on record with FCC is yet another, 3633 FM 437, Rogers TX 76569 (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. My local KGWA 960 is still putting out spurs, not only on 950 and 970, but around 920 on the 10-kHz-step caradio, Nov 3 at 1732. Probably puts another one around 1000, obscured by KTOK OKC (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ROMANIA. RRI, 11940 puts a hefty signal into NAm mornings, probably the best on the 25 mb direct from Europe. In Romanian, Nov 3 at 1332 VG with long list of world cities, continent by continent where one may vote for something. Still VG at 1450 recheck but off before 1500. At 13-15 it`s 300 kW from Galbeni at 285 degrees, intended only for France (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** RUSSIA [and non]. The unknown site transmitter on 13600 is still buzzy, Nov 3 at 1337 in Russian // 12025 an echo apart. They kept talking about Ukraine making me wonder if it was really Ukrainian language, but not, and not // RUI 15635. At 1350 CODAR QRM starts, more M&W conversation about Ukraine; 1357 music, Golos Rossii ID, Brahms` Lullaby, Russkaya Sluzhba to Australia and New Zealand, 1400 Novosti, and some lite co-channel QRM starts, neither of which is accounted for in HFCC.

After Cuba finally closed 13760, Nov 3 at 1410 heard a Russian song from VOR 13755 and again mentioning Ukraine. This is via Wertachtal, GERMANY (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SAUDI ARABIA. Weak 13m signals from the BSKSA channels known to be active here, assumed Arabic, Nov 3 at 1403: 21460, 21505 // 21640. Far too weak for any of the associated mixing products to penetrate. Spain`s triumvirate, 21540, 21570 and 21610 were equally poor.

Down on 19m, BSKSA had loud and clear signal on 15435, Nov 3 at 1507 with Qur`an, and no buzz during the brief time I monitored, also // weaker 15225 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SOUTH CAROLINA [non]. I figured Brother Scare via WBCQ 9330-CUSB, would make a 1-hour-later timeshift after DST like all their other programming; had been daily at 14-16 UT, so now at 15-17? No, Nov 3 it was already on at 1432 as B.S. was admitting he had a speech impediment and limited vocabulary ``like Moses``; program was close to // 9385 WWRB, but not 9265v WINB where he was saying the US is ``on the verge of total collapse``. Also ran across B.S. on 13810 via Nauen, GERMANY.

As for WINB, B.S. was on 9265v before 1500 but at 1502 I found it had switched to 13570v with some other gospel huxter.

The WBCQ schedule at http://schedule.wbcq.com/main.php?fn=sked&freq=9330
still has not been updated, showing times in EDT / 4 hours from UT and BS at 14-16 UT daily == 10 am to noon, so the question is whether this transmission will stay on Eastern time or UT (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SPAIN. REE, 17595, 1405 UT program is now ``El Español --- un Idioma sin Fronteras``, about the language, its literature, and worldwide impact, VG Nov 3. Seems the madrileños have no problem calling their language ``español`` rather than ``castellano`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) See also SAUDI ARABIA

** SUDAN [non]. ERT Greece, 15650 in Greek at 1506 Nov 3 over co-channel, no doubt still Miraya FM via IRRS via Slovakia. I wonder how the mix is in Sudan? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U K. 11955, B-B-C chimes, 1458 Nov 3 with ACI de HCJB 11960, 1500 HCJB gone and BBC opening listed Urdu via Rampisham (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Surprised to hear VOA Spanish at an unscheduled later hour than usual, Nov 3 at 1326 on 9885. It was the Enfoque Andina program with news about sexual exploitation of children in Perú, then filled out semihour with a rap song, #2 in the Top Ten; said would be back tomorrow at 7:30 am Eastern time [= 1230 UT].

I thought there was no DentroCuban jamming on this frequency for a change, but during a brief pause which followed, I could detect it. Then English outro from ``VOA, Washington``, and I thought they were about to sign off. But re-opening at 1330 UT with Buenos Días, América, giving current time correctly as 8:30 am in Washington, 1330 UT. No frequencies announced.

At 1340 found it on // 13715, item about Vietnamese-Americans supporting McCain as good for business, and he has certain connexions with the home country.

The trouble is, the VOA website B-08 schedule for Spanish, quoted in DXLD 8-115, shows the morning broadcast is at 1100-1230 only! And here we have it running past 1330, presumably until at least 1400.

It seems VOA Spanish is another service which observes local DST changes in Washington, no doubt confusing target listeners all over Latin America where no such changes are happening! How incestuous: programming is scheduled for the convenience of the studio, not the listeners.

Axually, the morning broadcast was at 1100-1230 until Nov 1, but is now registered for 1230-1400 thru B-08 until March 28 (but what about another timechange here earlier in March??) // before and after being 9535 and 13715, unchecked. Note that the total block has shifted one sesquihour later, not just one hour.

Then there is the morning sports roundup M-F at 1400-1415, which I think does not make a DST shift. I was looking for it too, not heard on 17565, but Greenville sometimes does not propagate on 16m altho much further signals do such as Spain 17595. Also supposed to be on 11840, unchecked. I did find that 9885 was still on with open carrier at 1409 but 13715 was not.

Now I wonder how VOA`s evening broadcast in Spanish may have shifted; it started B-08 at 0000-0130, extended UT Sun and Mon to 0200, on 5890, 5940, 9885. And the M-F news roundup should stay at 2300-2315 on 5890, 9885 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. WEWN, The Squeal, getting worse on 11520 in Spanish Nov 3 at 1455, reaching the nails-on-blackboard level. No such problem on // 7555 nor on English 5755 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. WRNO continues running long hours on 7505; Nov 3 at 0716 with the usual gospel rock/praise music, at this hour no longer the big solid signal; still big at 1318, 1530, but weaker in full daytime 1715, 1935, despite supposed break in authorized 7505 schedule between 1600 and 2300. At 2115 I could barely detect R. Tirana on 7510 in the WRNO splash; without WRNO, Tirana may have been better on 7510 than // 9345 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Skywave at the top end of the MW band is holding up at least to within an hour of local mean noon 1832 UT. Nov 3 at 1728 UT there was sportstalk about Dallas Cowboys on 1700, G signal at peaks but briefly fading completely down, also with weaker station making SAH. No other X-band stations beyond local KFXY-1640 were audible, not even Kansas City 1660. The 1700 is KKLF Richardson TX in The Metroplex, and the SAH most likely from Des Moines` KBGG (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** VENEZUELA [non]. RNV CI via Cuba, 11680, Nov 3 at 1501 broken English YL opening this ``International Channel Circuit``; 1512 recheck was back in Spanish, sounds like Chávez himself blustering (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Order your WRTH 2008: