[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs November 7, 2008

[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs November 7, 2008

** AUSTRIA. 13730 at 1355 Nov 7 in English, interview about search engines and their drawbax, with someone who spoke with an Arnoldesque accent, so he must be Austrian too. Still going at 1359 and I feared they would not get finished by end of transmission, but closed Report from Austria just barely in time for 1400* DCI (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** BULGARIA. R. Bulgaria, 15700 is still putting out modulation spike spurs, at 1409 Nov 7 during Bulgarian bihour, this time evident out to plus and minus 25 kHz (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CHINA. 6155, M&W conversing in American English, turns out to be China Business Radio as IDed in passing at 1320 Nov 7. Badly squeezed by Chinese-language stations on each side.

9000 still with Firedrake, Nov 7 but at 1327 during a quiet passage, which no doubt repeats every hour at this minute, N.B., I could hear a second station underneath and making a SAH, presumably Sound of Hope (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA. Discrepancy report: RHC missing from 12000 at 1343 check Nov 7; on 11760 as usual (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** INDONESIA. VOI, 9526, still active Nov 7 at 1330 during English hour playing some of its favorite background music, Cielito Lindo, in Miscellany program talking about how there are 100 football fields in Jakarta, owned by the government but funxioning as businesses. I hope I got that right? YL presenter outroduced herself as Yuko K-something, so apparently she is ethnic Japanese. 1333 to Music Corner with a YL singer born in September 1965 in Semarang (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** KOREA NORTH [non]. 5910 with heavily-accented news in English about North Korea, Friday Nov 7 at 1416, fair signal and completely in the clear, no jamming, CCI or ACI. 1420 ID in clear American accent as ``This is Shiokaze, Sea Breeze, from Tokyo, Japan`` and then ``Today`s Editorial``. Unfortunately, everything but the canned IDs was very hard to understand due to the accents of the speakers. No enumeration of kidnap victims by birthyear this time. 1425 another clear ID, and then lengthy sign-off routine spelling out website, addresses, over piano music, concluding with callsign JSR, Tokyo at 1429. An excellent new frequency for them, but they are prepared to jump elsewhere if jammed (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** KURDISTAN [non]. 11530, Nov 7 at 1340 could hear V. of Mesopotamia unclearly under WYFR Portuguese, nearly zero-beat. After WYFR 1345* uncovered but now in continuous Kurdish talk I could detect flutter and short/long-path echo. This TDP transmission is registered as SMF = Simferopol`, Ukraine, an imaginary site where as Wolfgang Büschel points out, there are no SW transmitters, and SMF axually means Mykolaiv, Ukraine. We thought this was axually via Kishinov, Moldova / Pridnestrovye, or Samara, Russia, but whence is it, really? FWIW, not much from E Asia was making it at this time on 25m, and Romania 11940 was weaker than usual (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [non]. VOA Chinese, nice to hear for a change without Firedrake or CNR1 jamming, tho there was a trace of CCI, Nov 7 at 1349 on 12040 via Tinian, harmonica riff, discussing Obama, frequent mentions of Mei-Guo, interviewing someone in English about fife-and-drum corps, but they kept voice-overing him in Chinese! (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 7862, approximately: the day before I was hearing typical DentroCuban jamming around 7865, but Nov 7 at 0654 there was higher-pitched and faster pulsing than that e.g. heard on 7365 at the same time. This was at the rate of 4 per second (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Order your WRTH 2008: