[HCDX] Glenn Hauser log November 15, 2008: Saint Helena

[HCDX] Glenn Hauser log November 15, 2008: Saint Helena

** SAINT HELENA. Radio Saint Helena Day monitoring, Sat Nov 15 on 11092.5-USB: 2000 tune-in to ``Life on the Ocean Waves`` theme song, and opening announcements, but too weak to really copy anything said. There was some ute QRM on the side. 2010 some music which sounded like flute and mbira, then drums too, and decided it was Japanese in honour of the current target area. Some more talk at 2018, but lost signal at 2020, as I hear some others did too. A good time to stop until later as I had other things to do, such as watching Nova and Nature on PBS.

Retune 2206: signal about the same as two hours earlier, now presumably toward Europe, with bluegrass music, 2210 ``Back in the USSR``. Then improving somewhat. 2212 taking a call from somewhere it is 3:45 a.m., so must be India. 2228 acknowledging a number of DX clubs, signal grows some more, strong enough to switch in attenuation on FRG-7 with longwire, to diminish `pumping`. 2229 starts announcement in Spanish, but audio breaks up and modulation lost, or barely detectable – what happened? It was time to rotate the antenna toward North America.

I wonder if like on previous occasions, when they tried to do this, the SWR went haywire because the signal was reflecting off some nearby metal object in that direction?! Fortunately, I had backup entertainment, Marion`s Attic on WBCQ 7415 via another receiver.

2247 noticed that RSH was back with music, ``Bridge Over Troubled Waters``; S9+12. 2251 message from the postmistress giving dates of past and future philatelic issues, followed by what may have been an Xmas song.

2300 reading an e-mail from Larry Yamron greeting Dave Valko; giving e-mail address and phone number which could not copy. 2302 song ``Wind Beneath My Wings``; 2307 message apparently from a visitor, did not get his name. 2311 country music; 2314 addresses including one at hotmail.co.uk  2319 ``Joy to the World``, jazzed up; brief QRM from some carrier hets but did not want to detune to locate them.

2322 full ID with SW and MW frequencies, asking for reports; had received 400(?) e-mails. Fax(?) QRM on low side worsens; song by Gene Autry(?). 2330 ``God Save the Queen`` which one would take as a sign-off, but kept on going at 2331 with other music on slide guitar. 2334 mentioning about to rejoin BBCWS relay (at hourtop?), then no more announcements but soft jazz still at 2337, 2341; 2344 started another piece then finally cut it off, that was presumably it, and I stopped listening.

Most of this was on the usual rig, FRG-7 with E-W external random wire, and/or a longer mostly NW/SE random wire which usually picks up more local noise, but I also tried the Sony ICF SW-07, which has tighter selectivity avoiding the QRM on side; it also step-tunes, so hard to get the SSB pitch just right. Signal strength to the ear was about the same on it, using the Sony loop in a south-facing window. Thanks to all involved for another enjoyable RSHD (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Order your WRTH 2008: