[HCDX] Logs for Al Muick 18/19 November

QTH:	Kabul, Afghanistan
RX:	WinRadio G303e
ANT:	200m Longwire/Randomwire
ACC:	Palstar MW-550P Mediumwave Preselector

1233	CYPRUS, Monte Carlo Doualiya, heard at 17.06 on 18 Nov. in AR/FR
with AR pop mx.  Went to FR newscast at 1730.  600kW and powerhouse signal.
Used to be RMC Moyenne Oriente or RMC Middle East.

1251	TAJIKISTAN, BBC Relay, heard 18 Nov at 1703 in RS, also fighting
w/co-channel Iran, but mostly winning.

1287	INDIA, AIR Panaji, heard at 1658 on 18 Nov. w/PSAs/commercials into
some piani mx and tk by YL.  100kW but squashed in the shadow of local
R.Free Afghanistan on 1296 w/400kW.  Palstar MW-550P pulled it right up!

1332	PAKISTAN, PBC with OM in UR talk over a bed of disco mx heard at
16.52 on 18 Nov., w/many mentions of Pakistan.  Good quality signal, almost
S4 w/100kW, but deep fade and fighting w/co-channel Iran with 300kW.

4760	INDIA, ANDAMAN AND NICOBAR ISLANDS, AIR Port Blair, heard on 19 Nov.
from 0015 with OM/YL talk and music.  Several station IDs.  Signal started
to die rapidly after 0100 and the adjacent channel QRM from 4765.  No
station listed there in EiBi, and only Peru in WRTH, but HFCC B08 lists
TAJIKISTAN, R. of Tajikistan from 1500-1200 with 100kW.  YL talk and music
more middle-eastern than subcontinental, so this is a possibility.

This was certainly a great night for DX!  Over the last five days, I have
forced my employer to completely re-wire the guest house, and I stood watch
over the electricians doing it.  It was like supervising the Three Stooges.
They nearly electrocuted themselves, crossed phases on the genset and hit
the lights with over 300 volts, burned up an electric clothes drier, and, in
general, caused less-than-humorous chaos in the household.  We discovered
that the entire house was running on one phase of a 3-phase genset, which
would have eventually ruined the genset.  The genset wasn't grounded and I
insisted that a proper copper ground be laid and buried in the yard for the
genset.

The result has been an almost 15dB reduction in the ambient noise level
across the bands and I am seeing signals I never knew were there.  In spite
of all this, I am weighing my options about staying in this horrid land.  I
leave for R&R in Europe for ten days on the 24th and I expect to make a
decision when I come back on the 4th of December.

73 de Al

"A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a
master, and deserves one!"
 - Alexander Hamilton

Order your WRTH 2008: