[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs November 29-30, 2008

[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs November 29-30, 2008

** ALASKA. KNLS, 6150, Nov 30 at 1403 playing jazzed-up version of ``If I Were a Rich Man``; is this a Jewish station? Hardly! ID and then to lure in unsuspecting listeners with initially secular segments, brief one about Pres. Sarkozy being exposed as a philatelist, and a longer one, Postcard from Alaska, Mike Osborne interviewing someone from the Alaska State Museum (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** AUSTRALIA. R. Australia continues to be very attenuated on the 31m band in our mornings, while for most of the previous year it was loud and clear on 9580 until 1400, and less loud but still useable on // 9590 past 1400. However, Nov 29 at 1401, I found the weak 9580 signal with news, still on the air! Has there been a schedule change here too? 9590 also audible. But at next check 1442, nothing on 9580 tho 9590 and 7240 were audible, very poorly. 7240 also has problems from big VOA Korean signal on 7235 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. Lately I have not been able to detect even a carrier from CFRX, e.g. Nov 30 at 1355; nor a SAH on CVC 6070 at night. CFRX yahoogroup reported that power was down to 250 watts, and modulation fix was still awaiting arrival of some tech from south of the border, but now I wonder if it is on the air at all (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA. RHC, 11760, Sat Nov 29 at 1406 starting Cartas a la Redacción program, announced as also airing at 10:05 pm hora de Cuba. Audio on this frequency was lo-fi and distorted, quite unlike relatively well-modulated // 12000 with which it was also out of synch. Obviously two different transmitter sites, but 11760 feed route really inferior (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA [non]. Altho I refuted the DX Mix News, Bulgaria schedule for R. República showing 0500-0600 UT Sun, Mon on 6010 via Rampisham, right next to that item as published in DXLD, at least two other DX bulletins have ignored this and published it without question. I have now checked during that hour on five different dates, including Nov 30, and *no* sign of such a transmission. The only way it got connected with República is that before it was supposedly starting, I suggested it *might* be for República as there is little other demand now for that westward azimuth from Rampisham, 285 degrees. Axually it`s for CIRAF Zone 8, which is USA E of meridian 90, not including Cuba. Who knows, something may eventually show up here, so keep checking (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ITALY [non]. 15725, Nov 30 at 1428 good signal with preacher in English discussing Genesis, something which is not there other days of week. Unfortunately I was tuning elsewhere when it must have gone off, if there was any sign-off or ID, as nothing there by 1431. Is PWBR `2009` any help? Of course not! Nothing shown on 15725 except Pakistan at some other time, and this was no Pakistan. Axually it must have been IRRS/NEXUS-IBA/IPAR/EGR via Slovakia, as scheduled Sundays only 1400-1430 at 95 degrees with ``The Watchman``, per http://www.nexus.org/NEXUS-IBA/Schedules/sun.htm
BTW, PWBR also misses other stations currently scheduled on 15725: T8WH, and DW DRM via Portugal (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** JAPAN [non]. NHKWNRJ, 11705 via Canada, Sat Nov 29 at 1410-1429* had their monthly story-telling instead of World Interactive, i.e. Tales of Genji from a millennium ago, intrigue in the palace involving relations with various women. W & M speakers delivered it, and well-produced with traditional music and sound-effects. Pre-echo from Yamata barely audible in background this time (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** NEW ZEALAND. Bandscanning Nov 30 at 1356, all I could get on 6170 was an open carrier, maybe RNZI, or have they jumped to a wrong frequency again? But at 1412 recheck, back to normal with coastal weather forecasts (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SOLOMON ISLANDS [non]. Looking for reactivated SIBC on 9541v, not a chance here before 0700 Nov 30, with RHC 9550 music splattering, but still no trace of it after RHC went off without any announcement (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Air Force MARS net, Sunday Nov 30 at 1416 on 7457.0 SSB, ``calling all stations in Kentucky``, 1419 Mississippi, 1420 North Carolina. Could not catch callsign of NCS beyond AFA-, but probably same as previous log March 16 at 1317 as in DXLD 8-035, AFA2AJ, and DST already having started, net was one UT hour earlier. Much more research on this in 8-031. Now has heavy QRM from broadcaster on 7455 I did not try to ID, but per Aoki would be FEBC Philippines in Hui, or IBB Deewa Sri Lanka in Pashto (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. WHRI supposedly has a new Saturday-only Arabic broadcast at 1500-1600 on 17690, but no trace of it here Nov 29 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [non]. 7165, Harold Camping speaking from the bottom of a barrel with heavy reverb, Nov 30 at 1422; this is YFR via Petropavlovsk/Kamchatsky, 263 degrees (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** VENEZUELA [non]. When he suspended ``Aló, Presidente`` a couple months ago, would-be president-for-life Hugo Chávez Frías said he would resume after the elexions which have now taken place Nov 23. But looking for the show via Cuba Nov 30 at 1427, nothing found on previous or listed frequencies 13680, 13750, 17750(VOA), nor at 1440 on 11670, 11690, 11875. Nor at more chex after 1500, 1634. Maybe next week? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 6074, 8GAL CW marker again heard Nov 30. R. Rossii, 6075 stopped modulating at 1400:05 after delayed timesignal, but carrier stayed on until 1402:30. Meanwhile, 8GAL did not start until about 1400:45 and lasted less than a minute, sending: VVV CQ CQ CQ DE 8GAL 8GAL 8GAL K. Believed to be Russian military (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 15255.5 SSB, Spanish 2-way, another invasion of the 19m band, Nov 29 at 1522; one side much stronger than the other (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Order your WRTH 2008: