[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs December 4-5, 2008

[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs December 4-5, 2008

** AUSTRALIA [and non]. 6230-SSB, VMW, announcing its schedule at 1355-1357* Dec 5, but under stronger SSB net involving various cap`ns, which I at first assumed was WHX672 Brownsville, but that`s on 6224, so some other US coastal station blocking it on 6230 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** AUSTRIA [and non]. ORF domestic service relay, 6155, Dec 5 with all-too-brief English news segment, and not much about Austria itself, 0709-0712, then into French. This M-F morning news update may be all that`s left of English from Austria on SW after Dec 31, and maybe it will be gone too. It`s conveniently scheduled just after an equally brief English newscast from Croatia at 0700-0704 on 6165, which concludes by listing all their other English times, unlike Austria (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CHINA. 4950, V. of Pujiang, Shanghai, not often audible here, but when it was, Dec 5 at 1424 in Chinese talk and music, I found it to be overmodulated and distorted (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** KOREA NORTH [non]. Shiokaze via Yamata, Japan, is still sticking to 5910, for the 1400-1430 broadcast, and still sticking to English on Fridays, as noted with no jamming, Dec 5 at 1408 with ID in clear American English, then several brief Kyodo news stories about North Korea, read by someone with an extremely heavy accent and could barely understand a word to be sure it was really in English (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** PHILIPPINES [and non]. Checking 6105 for signs of Yucatán, I was getting a weak het on a much stronger signal, Dec 5 at 1359, so the het may be all that`s making it from Mérida. But I was quite surprised to hear Radio Netherlands introducing its 1400 English broadcast, with frequencies 5825, 9345, 11520, 12080, 15595, plus IS briefly, before cutting to VOA Chinese, which is what is supposed to be on 6105 at 1400. A feed/switching mixup at IBB somehow put the RN opening on 6105; I don`t know what appeared on 12080, the only correct Tinang frequency for RN at this time (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. WRMI, 9955, again with unscheduled airing of QSO with Ted Randall, UT Fri Dec 5 at 0734 with antenna commercial, music vamping, and eventually 0739 resuming interview with Nelson Cosby(?), Michigan ham. Not sure when this starts or ends or if it`s the entire two hours. Many nights the MUF is way below 10 MHz, but this date good signal and no jamming audible. Several other 9 MHz signals also making it (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. WBCQ is drifting further off 15420, worsening the het with BBC RSA collision on 15420.0; Dec 5 at 1820 I put WBCQ on about 15420.2-CUSB (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 4517-SSB, Air Force MARS net from Wisconsin, Fri Dec 5 at 1420 apparently starting at 7 am (1300 UT) per mentions, NCS AFF3C the only call copied for certain, saying he would be missing the morning and evening nets until Monday night due to family activities.

According to http://usafmars.tripod.com/officials.htm AFF3C is Frank Miller, Region 3 director a.k.a. AFA3PQ, and here he is:
http://usafmars.tripod.com/PictureGallery/AFA3PQ.htm
But watch out for a Zwinky popup from Tripod. He has pictures on the wall of his shack showing train and horses; another of a motorcycle
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ZANZIBAR. RTZ, 11735, Friday Dec 5 at 1805, sounds like English as scheduled, with heavy accent, a few words recognizable, but also distracted by definite warble on unstable carrier, audible in AM mode and certainly with BFO on. Off-frequency Brasilian may also have been in the mix helping to audiblize the warble (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 9153, cut numbers in MCW, i.e. spy code on A3/regular AM mode, with tones like on DXers Unlimited closing, rather than on-and-off carrier, Dec 5 at 0734, so strong and overloading that first noticed it in background of WRMI 9955 as receiver-produced cross-modulation; since it was QSO with Ted Randall, ham show, at first thought it was deliberate SFX on that. By 0735, just open carrier on 9153. Presumably Cuba (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 10000, zero-beating my BFO on WWV, Dec 5 at 1815, noticed that there were unusual timesignal tones from something else, and they were a semi-second off falling between the WWV tix. Could it be the new Brazilian? Then some of the off-pips missed, came back for a couple at a time, then gone before I could determine if they were originating on 9999 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Order your WRTH 2008: