Re: [HCDX] the Grundig Eton G5: a major disappointment

Re: [HCDX] the Grundig Eton G5: a major disappointment

Bogdan,

Too bad you got another cheap radio with little image rejection. Hearing 1450 signal on 550 is not a spur (which implies it is transmitted by the station), but an inherent characteristic of radios with an IF (intermediate frequency) of 450 kHz. Double that, subtract from true frequency, and you get the image produced in the receiver. There is the formula. Sometimes the IF is 455 in which case the image is 910 kHz below. A double-conversion receiver (mainly for shortwave) should reduce or eliminate this problem.

73, Glenn Hauser

--- On Sat, 12/20/08, aurel chiochiu <acq@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: aurel chiochiu <acq@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I'm writing again because we just tested the Grundig
> Eton G5 receiver and we are highly disappointed... We get
> overload on every frequency on both LW and MW. It overloads
> even worse than the Sangean CST-818 rx with local 1450 kHz
> Arabic station wipping out any signal on 550 in both the DX
> and LO mode. In LO it is just SLIGHTLY weaker...
>
> I purchased it, because a lot of the interesting LW
> channels such as Tipaza-252 or Azilal-207 were hammered by
> local false mixing products between CINF-690, CFAV-1450 and
> CHUC-1450 on the Sangean CST-818, but with this rx things
> are only worse. While the 550 RECEIVER-GENERATED spur is
> poor-strenght using the Sangean CST-818 barefoot, it is
> SEMI-LOCAL-like with excellent strenght semi-Hi-Fi using the
> Grundig Eton G5 receiver... I wonder why CHUC the 1450
> Arabic station in Le Parc Industriel de Saint-Laurent
> generates spur on 550 in all the radios in our house (even
> on a broken Venturer clock radio) WITH THE EXCEPTION of the
> Sanyo MCD-S830 AM/FM Hi-Fi chain with tape copy and recorder
> which cleanly receives the weak WEVD Vermont groundwave and
> skywave from low-power domestic regionals, as well as
> occasionally YVKE-Venezuela without any 1450 local
> receiver-generated spur and even better had a TA het on 549.
> Is there a mathematical formula for a signal on 1450 to
> appear on 550 due to overload concerns ?

Order your WRTH 2008: