Re: [HCDX] a pirate on 106.7 FM yesturday

Re: [HCDX] a pirate on 106.7 FM yesturday

Blog of media guru from Montreal Gazette paper.

[Gatineau is the metropolitan name for the former Hull, Quebec, on the Quebec side of the Ottawa River from Ottawa]

http://blog.fagstein.com/2009/12/21/radio-enfant-1067fm/
December 21, 2009 - 4:45 am| Posted in [25]Montreal, [26]Radio

A new radio station has snuck onto the airwaves in Montreal. It's
calling itself "Radio Enfant" and transmitting on 106.7 FM.

It's an initiative of two schools, and is operating over the
holidays until the beginning of January. It's a low-power transmitter,
so the signal is very weak, but I could pick it up for most of a late-night walk downtown after hearing about it on the Radio in Montreal group.

Radio Enfant recently launched a station in Gatineau at 1670 AM, at a CRTC-approved 1,000 Watts of power. It decided, apparently on its own, to start something up on 106.7FM in Montreal, after learning that this frequency was vacated by Aboriginal Voices Radio, which decided to surrender its license for CKAV-FM-10 on that frequency.

The only thing is that, unlike the Gatineau station, Radio Enfant
hasn't been issued a CRTC license to operate a radio station in
Montreal. It says it's planning to apply for one (or has already
applied, but the CRTC hasn't released that application yet), but
that's kind of backwards, and means the Montreal stations are
technically pirates.

Fortunately, Radio Enfant isn't interfering with any existing
stations. Boom FM, a station in St. Hyacinthe on 106.5 FM, still comes
in fine (which is good, because it's an Astral Media Radio station,
and Astral is a funding partner in Radio Enfant). There are no
stations in the area at 106.9 - but there are in Trois Rivières,
Sherbrooke and Ottawa that basically cancel each other out here.
Short URL for this post: http://blog.fagstein.com/?p=7893
(via Dan Say, BC, Dec 21, DXLD)

--- On Mon, 12/21/09, aurel chiochiu <acq@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Warm greetings to all of you !
>
> Well, back on topic, yesturday while driving away with a
> friend from the movie theater, heard a pedagogical pirate on
> 106.7 MHz with Xmas carols and interviews with elementary
> level students about what Xmas means for them... Very strong
> around Le Marché Central area of MTL, however as we drove
> back toward Pierrefonds, it slowly started to weakens and
> lead the way to Vergennes, VT (former WIZN) which apparently
> changed its format from Classic Rock (The Wizard) to C&W !
>
> Is it a REAL pirate or a LPFM (Low Powered FMer) ? Who
> knows ?
>
> I initially thought this was Arpents des Neige one, but
> this one is better up here in Pierrefonds than in the
> Marché Central area, but it certainly sounds the same...
> Makes me want to start a pirate as well, relaying Aventure
> FM airchecks from 1988 (the French Army - SIRPA broadcaster
> which turned to MaXXimum 2 years later after its official
> launch in 1987), but I know aside from the University a job
> in the radio field as a jock isn't that far off of my life.
>
> May the good DX be with you !
> Bogdan Chiochiu

Order your WRTH 2009: