[IRCA] "W" Call letters

One thing I love to catch when DXing domestics are new "W" calls. They
aren't all that easy from the Pacific coast. I was checking my QSLs from
2000-2005 and I find I QSL'd 39. Some are DX Tests. I had no idea I
added that many. When cx are decent, the Eastern beverage can bring new
ones in. This year alone I have added three so far.  WIMA-OH, WFIL-PA,
and WTRB-TN. Two are DX Tests and WTRB on reg sked.. For 2004, I added
seven, WNTP-PA, WWAA-GA, WQSN-MI, WQMA-MS, WHK-OH, WBGX-IL, and WMOX-MS.
Three were DX Tests, WQMA, WNTP, and WMOX.  I have been surprised as I
had no idea I would be doing this good in this age, especially with all
of the QRM. I wish I would have had this beverage 35 years ago.
A special thanks to all of the stations that have tested. Without the
morse code, I am sure several of the stations would not have been
logged. WFIL & WIMA come to mind. Neither I ever expected to log.
  The first I heard of WIMA was in the 1970s, when I worked at KVAS
Astoria. The station hired a salesman from Lima Ohio that came from
WIMA. I remember Andy telling us that everyone at the station had to
wear a suit and tie. He had never worked for a station so laid back as
KVAS was.
   Of course my early thoughts of WFIL was in the 60s when they were a
big Top 40 rocker. Even in those days, WFIL would have been a rarity if
anyone in the Weat logged them.

73s,

Patrick

Patrick Martin