[IRCA] Overnight Eclipse Trip Ultralight DU's for 8-19

Thanks to Richard and Craig for their TP-DXing reports. After making a sneaky overnight trip to the Oregon coast to avoid heavy I-5 daytime eclipse traffic, I was able to persuade my wife that the best place to take a brief driving break just happened to be the Rockwork 4 ocean cliff near Manzanita-- as long as the break occurred between 1200 and 1400 UTC, of course. The "airport unfriendly" monster FSL's stayed behind in Puyallup, but I was able to cram a pretty effective 8" FSL model into the overloaded trunk. This is the exact same model that Richard Allen has used to track down multiple Australian stations on his Ultralight radios in Oklahoma-- so I certainly didn't feel at all disadvantaged.

The usual Kiwi stations welcomed me with potent signals, along with 594-3WV and some strangely dominant Australian signals on 603 (Radio Waatea was temporarily MIA). Of course my lovely wife slept through the DU-chasing session, although we both did enjoy a dazzling display of the Milky Way galaxy through the moon roof of her new Corolla around 1100 UTC (4 AM). This report is from Lincoln City, Oregon, which will be one of the first sites in the U.S. to enjoy a total solar eclipse on Monday.

531 4KZ Innisfail, Australia, 10 kW News and sports report at a temporarily good level at 1259, with mention of "Queensland" around the 40 second point. Otherwise this station was the loser against an overwhelming PI all session long
https://app.box.com/s/nxtbuh3o5tv3qfoc3351v6ja3eb72hlp

531 PI Auckland, NZ, 5 kW Powerful Samoan island music sending 4KZ into the dust at 1304. A third station (2PM?) was audible at times in the mix
https://app.box.com/s/ev4wupztu874jmrip7ffbwk1ypoinrtt

603 Australia In a very rare occurrence at the "Kiwi Cliff," dominant over Radio Waatea with ABC talk at 1339
https://app.box.com/s/z0bg79krc4ykln8vvzx1o85kyt4z8rid

657 Star Wellington/ Tauranga, NZ 50/ 10 kW Christian music with ID at good level at 1318
https://app.box.com/s/y2snqumduhotxxljt5qqox6723muw52i

702 2BL-Magic The usual catastrophic mess occurs when two powerful DU's enjoy favorable propagation at the same time (1307). The oldies station is Magic, and the ABC talk is from 2BL https://app.box.com/s/2zpkabon4cuff3a4hd4p93ckxsqaru01

702 Magic Auckland, NZ, 10 kW The Kiwi oldies broadcaster pulls off some Magic to dispatch 2BL at 1310
https://app.box.com/s/i88e4c0wdyd4kv8tvdfsomtzmyyk2t5u

765 Radio Kahungunu Napier-Hastings, NZ, 2.5 kW The low-powered Kiwi with the overachieving reputation sounds pretty ordinary with female Maori music at 1258 https://app.box.com/s/w57qs62pq922i9lq6j4q1r9dil47o9qt

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (in Lincoln City, OR, USA)
7.5 inch loopstick CC Skywave Ultralight +
8 inch Dual Coil FSL (the Richard Allen model)