[IRCA] DU-DX on Lincoln City's Plunging Hill-- "Rockwork South"

>From 2010-2011 four DU-DXpeditions were conducted from the relatively flat ocean beach at Road's End State Park in Lincoln City, providing average results (complete with enhanced domestic splatter, three "washout" sessions and a local cop enforcing the "Day Use Only" restriction at 1100 UTC). During this total eclipse trip to Lincoln City the master plan was to find a new DXing spot that would provide a "total eclipse" of mediocre DXing conditions.

After many thrilling DU-DX sessions at the Rockwork 4 ocean cliff to the north the goal was to find similar terrain in Lincoln City, despite the fact that the residential area never had quite experienced a dynamite team exploding the side off of a local ocean side mountain. There was a relatively steep plunging hill facing in the DU direction, however, complete with a public parking area on the side of the hill. Why not give it a try?

After receiving 765-Radio Kahungunu (2.5 kW in New Zealand) at an S9 level at 1241 yesterday I knew that Lincoln City's ocean side hill was performing just like the Rockwork 4 cliff, managing a signal that would be very impressive even near Manzanita. I had never heard anything like it on any flat ocean beach from any antenna here on west coast (from any DXer). Enhanced DU-DX showed up again this morning, this time favoring Australia. 531-2PM, 585-7RN, 603-Nowra, 639-2HC, 639-5CK and others all showed up at decent levels, along with a monster signal from 891-5AN (the strongest I've heard it in 9 years). And all this was received on a relatively modest 8" FSL antenna, without any SSB spotting receiver to check carrier levels. So this "eclipse day" has provided a double dose of excitement-- the celestial event of the year, and the discovery of another propagation-enhancing ocean side DXing venue. More details and MP3's will follow after return to Puyallup tomorrow.

558 Radio Fiji One Suva, Fiji, 10 kW Polynesian choral music at a very good level at 1346 this morning
https://app.box.com/s/1a9ksarxibdhdbpof39dyds4fu8q9xlg

765 Radio Kahungunu Napier-Hastings, NZ, 2.5 kW Maori music and speech at an awesome level at 1241 yesterday morning-- hard to believe this isn't at Rockwork https://app.box.com/s/p4h9y6deb001xwrzrp3yzeh2co0fu34q

891 5AN Adelaide, Australia, 50 kW Blowtorch signal with ABC local announcements and programming introductions // 639 at 1332-- its strongest signal in 9 years (over 15 DU-DXpeditions) https://app.box.com/s/ro04jx3x4ueqcgu6e1lfgztnlj33txzf

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (DXing at Lincoln City, OR at the NW 50th St. ocean access parking area in the Road's End neighborhood)
7.5 inch loopstick CC Skywave Ultralight +
8 inch FSL antenna (the "Richard Allen" model)

891 5AN Adelaide, Australia, 50 kW