[IRCA] KEVT 1030khz DX Test Results

With apologies for the delay, here are the results for the KEVT 1030khz
test. This test was conducted on February 6th starting at Midnight and
running for a few hours. The test was conducted at full day power of 10kw
during a scheduled maintenance period by Chief Engineer Frank Luna.

Unfortunately, the test produced poor results...being heard by only two
DX'ers in nearby states. The reasons for this lack of success can be
attributed to at several factors:

1. The station operated in Spanish language mode, with no Morse Code, sweep
tones, or other unusual programming to make it stand out.

2. 1030khz is populated by other powerful Spanish language stations
including XESDD BCN Ensenada, which was widely heard during the test period.

3. Monster signal from WBZ in the East making things for folks on this side
of the Mississippi to hear anything else.

Our sincere thanks go out to Frank Luna for conducting the test, and
longtime IRCA member Paul Lotsof for arranging it. Perhaps we can convince
Frank to try it again next year with some sweep tones and Morse Code!

=======================================

Among the fortunate few who logged the test was Martin Flotz of Mission
Viejo, CA. He was joined by Kevin Randolph in Gilbert, AZ who notes that the
station is a "semi-local" to him.

Leading the large pack of Sad Sack's who didn't manage to hear the test
despite their best efforts was Tom Jasinski of Shorewood, IL who struggled
with a "oddball" signal in the null of WBZ.
It turned out to Polish station WNVR. Art Peterson of Richmond, CA fought
with "La Tremenda" in Baja, California but couldn't pull out KEVT.

Willis Monk, K4APE in Old Fort, TN heard a lot of Spanish on the frequency,
but could never make out enough for an ID. Les Rayburn, N1LF in Birmingham,
AL also had two SS stations on frequency during the test, but never managed
to ID either.

Mike Hardester managed to null WBZ with his Quantum Phaser, but never pulled
out KEVT from his home in Jackonsville, NC. A Drake R8B and a Kiwa Loop
proved no match for the mix of stations heard by Doug Pifer, KE6GMM of
Albany, OR. He logged an assortment of stations including XESDD, KDUN, KMAS,
and KTWO but no sign of our test station.

Pete Taylor in Tacoma, WA gave it the old college try with his Sony 2010 and
a Kiwa loop as well, but with the same results. Another disappointed DX'er
was Don Kaskey of San Francisco, who could only manage lots of QRM from
XESDD.

Mike Stonebridge made sure that Canadian DX'ers were also broken hearted. He
managed to null KTWO from his shack in Alberta, but that left only KMAS
underneath. Other's who went home unhappy included Jim Renfrew of Byron, NY,
J.D. Stephens of Hampton Cove, AL, and Eric Berger of Detroit.

Again, our sincere thanks to Frank Luna and the staff of KEVT! Even when we
don't log them, they are still lots of fun!

Les Rayburn, N1LF
NRC/IRCA Broadcast Test Coordinator
Please call anytime 24/7 if your transmitter
will be off the air for maintenance.
(205) 253-4867