Re: [IRCA] KPOJ 620 Portland is now IBOC

Re: [IRCA] KPOJ 620 Portland is now IBOC

"And now the final curtain.....I did it my way" Or should I say "The
IBOC Way". I am hoping you are wrong, and that IBOC will die like all of
the rest like Quad, but as some engineers have said, there is more to
this than meets the eye. But time will tell.  I still feel the
Canadians, Mexicans, and anyone else will have a fit. I don't see the US
getting away with this. Stations are just going to let their coverage go
to pot without a fight? We have 7,000+ AM stations in the US. How many
will go IBOC? A few hundred? Many a thousand? You need a new
transmitter. How many station owners can go out and buy a new
transmitter? By reports, an IBOC station covers a very small area. So a
50 KW station will cover a few miles rather than several hundred miles.
Are stations going to be happy with this? If I had a station, and some
station 50 miles away went IBOC 10 khz away from mine, and the noise
wiped out my coverage, so listeners could not hear my station 20 miles
away, would I stand for it? No way. I would be on the phone to the
station. If that did not do anygood, a lawyer would be called. We are
talking about cutting out the livilihood of these stations. I still
don't see it Neil. I cannot believe that station owners will not care.
Class Action Suit anyone.? Canada and Mexico can join in. So many border
stations in Canada that will be adversely affected by the IBOC hash.
Right now, none are night and there aren't many on AM period. Let alone
the DXing. I am just looking at the pure QRM IBOC will cause widespreed.
If something will kill AM station. This will. The public in masses are
not going out to spend money on an IBOC radio. People will just tune out
and listen to Siriius, XM, maybe FM, IPod or whatever. But time will
tell. But if IBOC becomes a reality in the US and stations don't fight
for the right to survive, I will be very disappointed in my fellow
American. I just can't believe IBOC will become a reality.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin

Come to Seaside Oregon for the 2006 IRCA Convention! It will be held at
the Comfort Inn on September 22-24,2006.