Re: [IRCA] Noisy cable TV

On a partly cloudy day, with the cable TV RFI noise level about as low as
it goes during the day, and my DSL working just fine, the cable guy showed
up to fix the problem.

He did show up as promised, did listen to my tail of woe but with
considerable skepticism, put his tester on the coax drop from the pole
where it connects to the grounding block, climbed the pole and did more
testing, and...

There is a problem, he will write it up for maintenance and in a week or so
they will check into it.  About all he could or would tell me was that
there was noise on the line from somewhere.  He said he was surprised no
one else had reported a problem because the noise should be inducing poor
picture quality especially on lower channels.  It is true the picture isn't
great at times -- I've not previously tried to correlate that with all the
other issues -- but all things considered, I don't think most people expect
an especially sterling picture based on past cable performance.  If it's
on, it's working as well as anyone expects.  He removed a dangling
disconnected piece of coax and tightened the connections at the junction
box.  Those efforts produced no discernable change in what was already a
low noise level at the time.

After he had been gone for an hour, right at 4pm, the noise level jumped
several fold, although still less then when it is at it's worst.  DSL
dropped out momentarily but returned in a few minutes.

I am less than confident whatever maintenance does, will address my real
problem with radio and DSL interference.  Indeed, they may end up boosting
the cable signal and thereby produce even more noise.  But until they fix
the problem they know they have, I don't expect them to listen to my
issues.  Who knows, maybe they are related and all things will turn out
wonderful. :-\

I've uploaded a sample MP3 file which has the noise first at 396kHz
followed by at 261kHz.  Because the level was much lower today that on a
bad day, the noise on the MW band was not representative of what it could
really be.  Just the two samples in this recording demonstrate that the
noise changes depending on where you listen on the dial.

These recordings were made in AM mode, 6kHz filter with the following:
         Ten-Tec RX-320D; LF Engineering H-800; TotalRecorder
The active vertical antenna is 20+ feet from the closest cable TV coax run.

Anyone who is interested can retrieve the file here (upper/lower case is
significant):
http://scooterhound.com/WWWR/radio/CableTVNoise.mp3

If a bad day comes up before the problem is fixed, I'll make additional
recordings of what is heard on different bands.

At 7am this morning I heard what a noise free situation could be, actual
silence but for a hiss of atmospherics.  Oh, but that someday I enjoy such
after the sun comes up.

Thanks for all the great input,
Curt
-------