Re: [IRCA] Reposting from www.qrz.com

Patrick Martin wrote:
> Scott,
>
> I have known a lot of engineers through the years that worked around a
> lot of high power AM, FM, & TV transmitters and quite a few passed on
> with some kind of cancer, but also a lot of other people die of cancer
> too. But I have always wondered, being around a lot of high RF, how
> healthy is it?

That's a tough question to answer. I don't think there's ever been a
study that's looked specifically at RF engineers and cancer. It would be
hard to do scientifically - what do you use as a control group?

Anecdotally, I haven't seen much evidence that long-term exposure to RF
correlates to an increased cancer risk. I've known some engineers who
have died young, but plenty who've lived very long, very healthy lives, too.

Today's engineers certainly get less high-level RF exposure than
engineers did a generation or two ago. It used to be common to work on
AM towers that were energized, or near FM/TV antennas that were
energized. Current RF exposure standards have made those practices
obsolete. There's more attention paid nowadays to ground-level exposure,
too.

For myself, I'm much more cautious in close proximity to VHF and
especially UHF and microwave than I am in the near field of MW stations.

I suspect most people - most engineers, even - end up getting much more
ionizing radiation exposure from cell phones held up close to their ears
(or on belt clips) than they ever do from the much higher powered, but
much more distant, broadcast antennas.