Re: [IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, February 26-March 6, 2011

"Extension 720" on WGN is still there, but is pre-empted by Blackhawks and Cubs games/post game shows.  It is more frequent since WGN began broadcasting the hockey matches.  However, Dr. Rosenberg's anti-Obama bias is becoming a bore.  Richard Allen, a long-time WGN listener.

----- Original Message -----
  From: Glenn Hauser
  To: amdx@xxxxxxxxxx ; am@xxxxxxxxxxx ; amfmtvdx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ; MWC yg ; mwdx ; irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Sunday, March 06, 2011 12:54 PM
  Subject: [IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, February 26-March 6, 2011

  All times and dates strictly UT. MW log editors are welcome to excerpt items, reformat and change to favorite timezone if necessary. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; some caradio as specified; above 2 MHz on FRG-7 with 110-foot east-west longwire.

  ** OKLAHOMA. Tulsa monitoring: Bruce Winkelman there found KGTO-1050 dead air, open carrier, all morning Feb 26, but had resumed when I tuned in at 1945 UT, KGTO ID with good-time oldies.

  At 1720 UT he found 1270, 1530 and 1570 not in //, with different Spanish music; but at 2105 UT, 1570 and 1270 seemed // to me, switching back and forth on one caradio, while 1530 was buried by KOKC splash. He and I agree that 1120 KEOR remains off the air for weeks (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

  ** OKLAHOMA. Since I`m not sure if he has posted a follow-up one week later elsewhere, here`s more from Bruce Winkelman:

  Tulsa radio Saturday 05MAR11:

  1050 KGTO again with dead air OC 1415-1435Z, regular programming at 2315Z.
  1270 KRVT and 1570 KZLI definitely // with Spanish programming
  1530 KXTD Spanish religious programming
  1430 KTBZ IBOC blessedly silent 1430Z!, IBOC still off at 2315Z on drive home. Sister station 1300 KAKC IBOCing away as usual.
  1120 KEOR nowhere to be found 1430Z or 2315Z
  1380 KMUS still place-holding with the same Broadway show tunes 2315Z, not yet on at 1430Z.
  (Bruce Winkelman, Tulsa, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

  I also noticed 1530 was the odd station out while 1270 still // 1570, sometime during the day on March 4 or 5 (Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

  ** U S A. 720, WGN, UT Thursday March 3 at 0529, looking for `Extension 720`, but instead, stupid sports talk! Since E720 shifted an hour later to 04-06 UT weeknights it should be pre-empted less for ballgames, so I am apprehensive it has finally been canceled as too intellexual for commercial radio. Whew, checking website:
  http://www.wgnradio.com/shows/ext720/

  ``(Wednesday, March 2) No program tonight -- preempted by Hockey. But we will be back tomorrow with a great panel of Middle-east experts and strategic scholars as we focus in on the popular revolts in Libya, Yemen, Bahrein, Jordan, etc.``

  Anyway, WGN was in its usual 720 battle with Spanish and SAH from KSAH in San Antonio, making weblistening preferable if possible (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

  ** U S A. 2390, WWRB, Feb 27 at 0027 preacher talking about Yahweh, VG signal, much better than // 5050, but 2390 accompanied by buzzy envelope out to 2375-2405, worst peaks circa 2380 and 2400. This happens at times to WWRB on 9385, presumably same transmitter. 2390 still not on all-night, at 0550 check, probably closing at 0500.

  Dave Frantz`s latest Feb 26 comments to me:

  ``Greetings: Some tidbits: Most everyone by now owns a digital shortwave radio that can tune the 2390. We are receiving GREAT reports. We are VERY pleased. Don't forget the 2.390 MHz, 340 degree rhombic antenna is almost 200 feet high; trying to use a rhombic  antenna less than 160 feet high is a waste of time on these frequencies. We are changing 5050 antenna to our 045 degree rhombic, in anticipation of the longer daylight hours coming up.`` (Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

  UNIDENTIFIED. Trans-Pacific MW carrier search, Feb 28 starting precisely at sunrise in Enid, 1304 UT on DX-398 in offset USB mode: 1314, 1305, 1296, 1242, 1134, 1116, 1053, 972, 882, 828, 774, 747, 666, 612, 594. Then I went up from 1314: 1566 and 1611 ---

  The last looped WSW instead of NW like the others, which fits for Australia, where WRTH lists 17 ``high-power open narrowcast stations``, HP meaning max 400 watts! And there are no Asians or other Pacificans on 1611. I double-checked the frequency and it was right on 1611, so unlikely to have been a US TIS variant. Still, it`s hard to believe I would even be getting such a carrier. The 100 kW VL8s on 120m were not audible today.

  In my scans there may be others only 1 kHz from 10-kHz channels which I simply can`t detect due to the QRM; thus those logged above end in -2, -3, -4, -5, -6, -7, or -8. But 1610, of course, has no broadcasters of normal power in the US, just HAR/TIS (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

  UNIDENTIFIED. 1440, trying for the WFNY, Gloversville NY DX test at 06-07 UT March 6, mostly dominating the jumble was an ESPN station, perhaps WGEM Quincy IL. At 0642 UT, I heard a few beeps of Morse code, probably this, but not enough to copy. Numerous others closer confirm the test did run as scheduled (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###