Re: [IRCA] (no subject)

Hi Terry,

I've seen designs using bundled rods before and his may very well perform as described.

But his "Theory" of how and why ferrite based antennas work?

Before I was halfway through reading the link I had to get out my tinfoil hat. I have to admit that citing Tesla, Moray and "free energy" sets off a Kook alert for me so bear that in mind. He should read more of Tesla's early writings when he was still honest enough to admit that he could design, build and use his devices he had no clue why they worked.

What strikes me most is the misunderstanding of Field Theory. As pointed out in another thread a tuned loop, air or ferrite, does effect the local field for some distance greater than it's diameter and can be partially absorbed in the windings. Any EM field has electrical and magnetic components, if they didn't generators wouldn't work nor would the lowly transformer which takes electrical energy, converts it to magnetic and back again. A loop antenna with a pickup winding can be treated as an unshielded transformer with it's primary excited by the EM that it's resonant with instead of an applied current. In a ferrite rod antenna neither the coil or the rod alone are the antenna, they interact with each other to make the functioning whole in a predictable manner using standard Field Theory .

Doesn't matter if the duck is black or white, you can't tell just from it's quack and both taste the same rubbed with sage and stuffed with rice dressing after being baked at 350 ;)

The idea that a ferrite rod 8" long is going to capture "photons" in the MW band provoked an expletive that my Lady heard. She wondered if I was shopping for fertilizer online...

True, one of the fundamental ides of Quantum Mechanics is that Electromagnetic energy, radio frequencies or Gamma rays, behave like waves sometimes and particles at other times. Design an experiment to detect light as a particle and you'll find particles, an experiment to find light waves will detect waves. In reality light is neither until it's detected and it's probably something else entirely anyway. Light going through a diffraction grating or properly sized dual slit behaves as if it were waves, in a photomultiplier tube or a larger dual slit it acts like particles.

The problem with looking for particles (photons) at say 1000KHz is that to detect a photon the detector has to be bigger than the photon. With light that's easy, you can read this because the rods and cones in your eyes undergo chemical reactions because they are much bigger than a photon of light, unless your blind and using a reader but I think my point is clear.

If Mr. Grahm were using a ferrite rod 300 meters or longer I might give some credibility to his "Photon interaction" ideas. Even at microwave frequencies where it would be practical I don't know of any practical uses offhand.

The Electron spin stuff? The magnetic fields within a ferrite rod even in the strongest EM fields is nowhere near enough to flip an Electron. Why do you think they need such gawdawful powerful magnets to do an MRI?

I'd think spending more time looking into the properties of the ferrite rods themselves would be more enlightening. The composition of the mix, grain size, binding agent, how much pressure and what temperature was used during forming all contribute to the rod's properties as much as it's physical dimensions. A 1/2" diameter rod 8" long may work best at ELF or HF depending on the above factors. Using them outside their designed parameters in resonant circuits can cause unexpected results as I have learned the hard way.

One reason I prefer air core loops for DXing, air is the same at ELF or SHF.

Tim