[IRCA] Mostly Mexican MW DX to Enid OK, April 19-25, 2013

[IRCA] Mostly Mexican MW DX to Enid OK, April 19-25, 2013

All times and dates strictly UT. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only. Or FRG-7, Sony SRF-59 when specified.

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

** MEXICO. 560, April 23 at 0554 UT after music, ID as ``La Tremenda``, dominant unless nulled when US stations can be heard, i.e. XESRD, Santiago Papasquiaro, Durango, 10/1 kW per Cantú.

I was wondering about the derivation of this strange name; no info on that in Wikipedia, but I do learn it is a town about the same size as Enid but four times as high; many emigrants from there are in Chicago. In the news lately for kidnapping. Googling, I don`t find the name Papasquiaro applying to anyplace or anyone else (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO [and non]. 580, April 23 at 0549 UT, promo for ``Noticias Rancherita del Aire``, singing ID for same, live DJ with timecheck and 26 degrees; often dominant over opposite WIBW Topeka KS with which it makes a 2 Hz SAH, i.e. XEMU, Piedras Negras, Coahuila, 5/2.5 kW (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 650, April 25 at 1112 UT, XETNT Los Mochis, Sinaloa with 5:12 TC, unique show ``Buenos Días, Yarderos`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 660, UT Monday April 22 at 0531, dead air except for big hum here again from somestation in US or Mexico; loops NNE/SSW. I should listen at 0500, when I am instead trying the 960 Fox-hole (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 660, April 23 at 0500 UT the Mexican NA is playing, followed by dead air, open carrier with background hum surging to foreground. So we know the big hum being heard here is from a United States of Mexican rather than United States of American. Next will have to tune in a few minutes earlier to determine which one. Apparently they leave on not only the carrier after sign-off, but also the Optimod which stupidly brings up the hum on the circuit. Tonight it`s worse than usual, with slow pulsing too. 0548 recheck I think it is off, but fades back in along with another Spanish station still modulating.

My hunch is that the hummer is XEFZ in Monterrey NL, which is usually the dominant Mexican on this frequency; but based solely on the schedule hours in the 2012 IRCA Mexican Log, which cannot remain totally accurate after publication: it`s 24 hours as are XEEY Aguascalientes and XEAR Tampico, while these close at 0600: XEACB Ciudad Delicias (which I have also heard before), XEWX Durango; while the others sign off at some other time. However altho presented in UT, those schedule times probably apply to winter non-DST rather than now (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. UNIDENTIFIED. 660, April 24 at 0455 UT tuning in early trying to nail down the hummer post-0500: dominant is lively Mexican music, but by 0456 an understation is playing choral Mexican NA, and that`s likely to be the hummer; yes: 0500 NA stops and hum surges. (Every station signing off with an anthem, anywhere, should be required to insert a quick legal ID *after* it!)

660, April 24 at 0524 & 0536 UT, IDs in passing for 98.9, La Lupe, mixing with others, so that`s XEACB, Ciudad Delicias, Chih., not the hummer (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 660, April 25 from 0455 UT, I am switching back and forth with 690 KGGF, here trying to nail down which XE is the one switching to a big hum heard several nights after NA finished at 0500. But now there are two or three stations mixing. Initially Mexican music is atop, not NA starting before hourtop. 0500 full ID for ``La Mexicana, 12 en punto`` and then short choral NA, 0501 another slogan ID. That`s XEAR in Tampico, Tamaulipas, 5/1 kW, listed as 24 hours by IRCA. I can barely hear some hum in the background from the other mystery station (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 660, April 25 at 0504 UT, another station which is not the hummer, ID as La Lupe, i.e. XEACB, Ciudad Delicias, Chihuahua, 5/1 kW, still on tho listed as sign-off at 0600 which would be 0500 during DST (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 660, April 25 at 1109 UT, NA is ending late, in mix of several stations, then full sign-on by an IMER station with 5-letter call, also mentioning its HD channel, i.e. on FM. This has to be XEDTL, Radio Ciudadana in México DF, 50/1 kW (remember when it was commercial XERPM? That call is no longer in use anywhere per IRCA cross-reference). IRCA and Cantú do not list an FM for it, but probably refers to 660 programming being simulcast on one of their FM IBOC subchannels. Yes, explained here:
http://imer.gob.mx/imerdigital/
with Ciudadana on 107.9 HD2. Looks like they have some good cultural programming (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 700, April 25 at 1045 UT, ID for Radio Red on 1110, and FM. XEDKR, Guadalajara relay of XERED DF on 1110, per Cantú 10000/150 watts, but nevertheless the default station at night with WLW nulled (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 700, April 25 at 1108 UT, dominant signal now with FM frequency 102.5, ``Noticias MBF`` (or NDF? Or some combination of similar sounding letters). Cantú and IRCA show no 700 with an FM on 102.5, nor XERED 1110 either. However, Cantú does list in the DF:
`` 102.5 Noticias MVS, Noticias, programas hablados. XHMVS 80,100 watts. Grupo MVS Radio.``

So the question is, which XE on 700 would be relaying this? As far as I can tell from their website with lots of news and visuals, http://www.noticiasmvs.com/#!/home it`s an independent company, and no affiliate list to be found. Search site on 700 and you get loads of news stories mentioning this figure. By now, it has 700 to itself, WLW faded out (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. A longtime mystery here is a station on MW 800 often heard with extremely distorted modulation. I`m fairly sure it is one of the two in NE Mexico near you. Wonder in you could hear it on groundwave in the daytime and get a fix on it or ID? Listed names:
XEDD in Montemorelos NL, La Tremenda
XEZR in Zaragoza, Coahuila, La Traviesa
73, (Glenn to Jerry Ervine, via DXLD)

At 1306 4/23, La Tremenda was announced, and later Montemorelos, NL. Very clear and readable. It does become a bit raspy around 1355. At 1402, lots of MX and ID of station name, etc, but no clear call, XEDD.  A mix of talk and MX. Hope this helps. 73, (Jerry Ervine, Mission, RGV, TX, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1520, April 25 at 0508 UT, KOKC has QRM from vocal ballad Mexican music. Unfortunately, unlike other OKC signals I can`t completely null KOKC so have to put up with the nonsense from Redeye Radio while trying to ID the QRM, from which I have yet to copy any announcement. At least I get a pretty good DF on it, SSW or maybe NNE, which if correct rules out the Californians as Greg Hardison helpfully suggested. There it is again at 1053, music making fast SAH with KOKC.

I think we can also rule out KSIB in Creston IA, our closest 1520 to the NNE since it`s a daytimer and still active in English per website.
Based on proximity and direxion, the most likely one in Cantú is:
1520 XEVUC La Norteñita Allende, Coah. 1,000 D
with one little problem: listed as a daytimer, but as we know, that doesn`t necessarily stop USA or USM stations from running all night. The IRCA Log 2012 has this one on 1050 instead, as ``La Gigante``, so recently moved? I can see how they would want to get off XEG`s frequency, and maybe really operate at night on the new channel. WRTH 2013 also has this La Norteñita on 1520, as 1 kW fulltime, i.e. no ``d`` indicating a daytimer (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 2910, April 25 at 1034, weak talk and music vs storm noise level, presumably XEVT 970 x 3 from Villahermosa, Tabasco, as previously IDed. In winter it was signing on at 1059, off at 0600, so now should be 0959-0500 UT with carrier on a few minutes earlier (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)