[IRCA] Domestic MW DX to Enid OK, April 19-25, 2013

[IRCA] Domestic MW DX to Enid OK, April 19-25, 2013

All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT`]. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; or Sony SRF-59 as specified; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

These logs are in four sexions, Canada [if any], Oklahoma, rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** OKLAHOMA. 530, fake callsign ``K530AM``, Vance AFB has been on the air continuously since first discovered in February {except for that ice-storm power outage we noted, when they couldn`t even come up with 10 watts of backup battery power}. And there has still never been any mention of Enid`s newest radio station in Scoop, the weekly base newspaper published by the Eagle, nor in the Eagle itself. Allegedly 10 watts, on caradio it`s quite good all over Enid in the daytime. The KTA TIS in southern KS is covered up. At night it`s weak enough to be nullable for Cuba on the DX-398.

April 22 at 1648-1651 UT, I take three minutes to copy the PSA/ID loop to see if there have been any changes:
Wireless Amber alerts, Ad Council
Internet risky for kids, ncpc.org USDOJ and Ad Council
Vance AFB Harrison Gate is open 24 hpd; Baker 0630-0900 M-F excluding federal holidays
Crimestoppers on Vance: call hotline 580-213-7200; or emergency 911
Large commercial vehicles go to Search gate: open M-F 0630-1830; Sat 0630-1430 or call if needed elsewhen
FEMA`s new Guide to Preparedness, fema.gov or 800-480-2520
ID: ``This is K530AM ---`` but cut off for another ID but with background noise, why? ``K530AM, operated by Vance Air Force Base``
Amber alert, again ---
Previously there were a few other PSAs in rotation which might still appear at other dayparts (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1120, April 22 at 1447 and 1647 UT, KEOR Catoosa / Sperry / Tulsa remains absent, as it has been for a few days now. When it came back as ``Radio Victoria`` with praise music in Spanish, we expected it to stay, but no (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1610, April 22 and for weeks now, no trace in Enid of the TIS at Great Salt Plains State Park, suspect off the air. WQCL720 had been JBA on caradio at quiet spots in Enid outskirts, and easily audible a few miles north on US 81/60/64, but lastly with nothing but hum, previously with NWS relay, and before that with axual info about the area, including selenite crystal-digging. Must check for sure next time I head northward (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

1610, April 22 at 1921 UT at a quiet location with caradio inside Enid, I can still hear a weak hum, no doubt from WQCL720 at Great Salt Plains State Park, contrary to yesterday`s assumption that they had finally turned it off. What a waste (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=======================

** U S A. 690, April 22 at 0532 UT, open carrier/dead air, no doubt from KGGF Coffeyville KS, as happens frequently (always?) after local midnite, making slow SAH with presumed KTSM El Paso underneath. What does the KGGF program schedule show? Who knows? Cannot find any website. I should listen at 0500, when I am instead trying the 960 Fox-hole (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

690, April 23 tune-in just before 0500, KGGF Coffeyville KS is playing taps, and then dead air, open carrier, making slow SAH with news understation presumably KTSM. So this indicates KGGF is deliberately signing off at local midnite, but not turning off the carrier. Since they are licensed for fulltime, why not burn up 5 kWh for 5 hours or however long it takes before resuming programming? But what a waste: they could be modulating at no extra cost with *something*. Next I will have to tune in a few minutes earlier than that for what they say at closing (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

690, April 24 at 0456 UT, tuning in early to hear KGGF sign-off, it`s already in open carrier, vs KTSM El Paso, and no taps tonite around 0500, altho a Mexican NA could be heard weakly mixing. At 0459 KTSM ran a TX DOT seat-belts PSA, 0500 Fox ``news``, 0506 C2CAM (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

690, April 25 at 0452 UT I tune in even earlier to hear what KGGF Coffeyville KS is doing: last part of Jim Bohannon Show; kudos to KGGF for still carrying him, the closest station around here, but unfortunately not with a solidly listenable signal at night. JimBo is that rare breed of a middle-of-the-road talkshow with a wide variety of guests and topix, rather than a far-right hate agenda.

As in previous log, KGGF was already dead air by 0456 last night, but this time continues with JimBo wrapup, 0458 quick sign-off announcement giving day/night powers of 10/5 kW, ``join us again tomorrow for another day of broadcasting; good night``, and plays taps rather than SSB. If anyone hankers to hear KGGF further away, the taps at local midnight would be a good tipoff. Then dead air, carrier stays on as usual.

I am unavoidably awake too early by 1043 UT, so check 690 again: still open carrier, so figure they will sign on just before 1100 = 6 am local CDT. But recheck at 1057, already on with talkshow discussing Facebook; was it JIP? It seems both their sign-off and -on timings are flexible (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 930, April 18 at 1211 UT, checking inhabitant with WKY OKC nulled --- it`s still WTAD Quincy IL, with river levels at Quincy & Hannibal; it seems there is some flooding. Now WTAD is legitimately on non-direxional day pattern since 1130 UT in April (1045 in May), but we also hear it at night (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 960, April 19 at 0503 UT during KGWA Fox-hole, harmonica blues music is dominating rather than ABC News, indicating KGKL San Angelo TX has stopped running ND day pattern at nite, but WABG Greenwood MS may have resumed doing so (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

960, April 20 at 0503 UT during KGWA Fox-hole, dominated by bluesy music, not ABC news, which again points to WABG Mississippi, no more KGKL Texas (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1440, April 20 at 1216 UT, ID in passing as WGEM, back to ESPN; Quincy IL, difficult versus much stronger 50 kW Spanish religion from KTNO TX (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1520, April 20 at 1218 UT, KOKC OKC has CCI from sports talk in English, making slow SAH of about 84/minute = 1.4 Hz. Strongly suspect KOLM Rochester MN with ESPN which is U8 10000/800 watts, tho there is another ESPN at KMSR Mayville ND, only 1300 watts (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)