[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, September 12-18, 2014

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT`]. Rx: mostly DX-398 or PL-880 with internal antenna only; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E/W longwire as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page26

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** CANADA. 1610, Sept 12 at 0102 UT song in Brazilian looping NE/SW, and then another, i.e. CHHA Toronto, Voces Latinas which is not totally Spanish. Yes, program grid at http://chha1610am.ca/program/ does show Portuguese at 9-10 pm ET M-F = 01-02 UT Tue-Sat (and followed by Tagalog, Italian hours). Twenty semi-hours weekdays at 2-4 pm = 18-20 UT are each dedicated to a different SS Iberoamerican country (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

==================

** OKLAHOMA. Sept 13 at 1530-1700 UT, Cherokee Strip parade around the square in downtown Enid, one of two annual big parades, the other being Tri-State Music Festival in early May. This one has only a few marching bands, but lots of other stuff by local businesses and luminaries, longhorns, antique cars, including our two radio groups:

KNID/KCRC/KXLS van:
http://www.w4uvh.net/KNIDvan.jpg

KOFM blue van, not mentioning original and still sibling KGWA 960:
http://www.w4uvh.net/KOFMvan.jpg

The parade is organized by the local ham radio club, which takes great pride in its participation, using 2-meter repeater:
http://www.w4uvh.net/W5HTKparade.jpg
(Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1610, Sept 13 at 1908 UT on caradio just north of Carrier OK, I check out the TIS at Great Salt Plains State Park, to which we are headed. Last we heard for months/years, this was a zombie unit putting out a hum but nothing else.

Now WQCL720 has been revivified, relaying NOAA NWS loops, not out of OKC, but out of Wichita (but also mentioning conditions in peripheral Enid, regional OKC). I had never heard this as far away as Enid and it`s probably a recent development. Recorded a clip for example, not including Wichita ID, but obviously from there, mostly about south-central Kansas, and just after we stopped recording, at 2028 UT, roboYL calls herself ``Misty``, get it? Weather-related monicker. Is ``she`` all over NOAA now? She has a hard time achieving proper intonation, pasting words together. Recorded sample has cicadas in background we didn`t notice at the time, so pervasive are they with windows open.
http://www.w4uvh.net/WQCL720.mp3

We drive right by the place where the TIS pole used to be, at the entrance to the SP on its east side along Hwy 38, but it`s gone. Instead, just south of there is a brand-new-looking building with no windows, no signage identifying it, but a tell-tale TIS-style monopole antenna atop. It`s right next to a powerline and transformer, so no need for solar panels. Building looks larger than necessary for a 10-watt TIS transmitter; at first I was not certain this thing is the TIS, since parked right by it, cannot overcome the powerline noise level! But it covers the park and adjacent NWR very well. The only sign refers to a fibre-optic line which may be unrelated. Photos:

WQCL720 ``1610`` sign on trail elsewhere in park, with observer:
http://www.w4uvh.net/WQCL720sign.jpg

WQCL720 building, antenna, power pole:
http://www.w4uvh.net/WQCL720bldg.jpg

Kanokla fibre-optic warning sign next to WQCL720 building:
http://www.w4uvh.net/Kanoklasign.jpg

This is quite near, across the highway from Kegelman Auxiliary USAF field with the big soccer-ball radome which serves as the ``Enid/Vance AFB`` weather radar; and emergency landing strip for Vance training flights, probably unpersonned.

Once again I scout the rental cabins at GSPSP, which now have a new faux-log finish, especially since veterans get 25% discount; of the six, one is isolated from the others and surely the one for a potential DX-pedition. Noise level not too bad but can still hear some on the portable at 1710, and some popping on shortwave. Probably not enough room or isolation to string a real Beverage. Each cabin has a picture window on the backside toward the lake, except from here you can`t see the lake for the trees in the way. At least an armadillo was rooting in the brush nearby (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1640, Sept 13 at 2155 UT, KZLS is in open-carrier/dead air, ho hum (Glenn Hauser, GSPNWR OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

==============

** U S A [and non]. 750, Sept 13 at 0601 UT, no signal from KAMA El Paso TX! Instead I am hearing a real Mexican since playing NA ``Mexicanos, al Grito de Guerra``, under WSB. KAMA finally behaving? NO, next check at 0619 UT, there it is again, Spanish talk mixing WSB, 1-800-646-0779 phone for Univisión América or Save the Children mentioned. Googling on phone numbers seems to be quite unproductive anymore (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 850, Sept 12 at 0107 UT, tune in to hymn music in KOA null, but then it just stops and nothing for a minute or more. Did KFUO Clayton MO sign off at odd time instead of 0115 UT official Denver September sunset? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 890, Sept 18 at 1219 UT, with KTLR OKC nulled, ``News-talk 890, KDXU`` IDs, MDT chex, local ads, from St. George UT, making slow SAH with KTLR. KDXU 10 kW night pattern is cardioid with null toward Chicago and not much toward us either a bit further south. Day pattern is 10 kW ND, so maybe on it already; otherwise it`s a rarity here. KDXU official September sunrise is not until 1315 UT (Oct: 1345 UT). Nothing in its FCC Correspondence Folder about a PSRA; just a Consummation Notice of Transfer of Control of this and a bunch of other stations headed by KCIN as of June 11, 2014 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 900, Sept 12 circa 1800 UT, still no signal from KSGL Wichita, but next check an hour later at 1900 UT, it`s audible: ``More of the music you remember, KSGL, AM-900, Wichita``, into USA Radio ``News``, so apparently revived during this hour after a week off, or powered way down. Severe splash from much stronger KTLR 890 OKC while it`s playing music (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 900, Sept 15 & 16 circa 1830 UT on caradio, KSGL Wichita KS is again inaudible, even after the technician tweaked something, and it was somewhat audible on Sept 12 & 13 daytime (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) Still inaudible circa 1805 UT Sept 18

** U S A. 990, Sept 13 at 2201 UT, unknown network news in English, a signal I don`t quite get daytime in Enid, no doubt 250-W ND KRSL in Russell KS (Glenn Hauser, caradio at Great Salt Plains NWR OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1120, Sept 12 at 0053 UT, YL in English is easily heard with KMOX nulled, so another try to definitive this as KTXW Manor (Austin mkt) TX. Guest identified as Dr Lewis/Louis/Luis Alexander, with Legacy Ranch Vision, a charity for children separated in San Antonio; close enough? 0059 UT promo for algo but fading and no ID heard before lost to KMOX at 0100 UT and/or switched to night facility. Made SAH of 28/minute = 0.47- Hz with KMOX (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1370, Sept 13 circa 2200 UT, no signal on caradio from Dodge City KS, 5 kW ND KGNO, so suspect again it`s off (or QRP?). I can`t get it on groundwave at home in Enid, but have heard it in daytime a few miles north of Enid on US 81, and now I am 25-30 miles closer to it at Great Salt Plains National Wildlife Refuge (Glenn Hauser, caradio at Great Salt Plains NWR OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1510-, Sept 13 circa 2200 UT, I am also hearing the off-frequency het from KCTE Independence MO, making it on daytime groundwave to here, vs the Kansan, KNNS Larned. It must be awful directly between Larned and the non-KS Independence (Glenn Hauser, caradio at Great Salt Plains NWR OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---