[Swprograms] Shakeup at VOA News

>From DX Listening Digest 4-100 July 1:

** U S A. "The Front Office has informed us of their decision to close
down the editorial functions in London as of September first of this
year.

This decision was taken despite strong opposition from the News
Division. We presented a proposal several months ago to save those two
editorial positions, but to no avail.

In the next few weeks, I'll be talking to those of you who are
correspondents affected by this turn of events.

This is no doubt a blow to our Division, but we will weather this as
we have weathered so many other storms in the past few years. I would
just ask for your cooperation during a difficult period." (VOA News
Director Andre DeNesnera, June 30, via WORLD OF RADIO 1236, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

VOA`s budget is going up next Fyear, as in last issue, and news
department is steady, but they keep closing bureaux in keeping with
policy to remove themselves from major world capitals. First Tokyo,
then London (Glenn Hauser, ibid.) but that`s not all! ---

** U S A. SHAKEUP AT VOICE OF AMERICA

VOA Director David Jackson announced Thursday July 1 a shakeup in VOA
News Division, removing Andre DeNesnera who had served as head of
VOA's newsroom for several years.

DeNesnera, a former correspondent for VOA in Moscow, Geneva and London
assumed the role of Acting News Director at the request of former VOA
Director Sanford Ungar, in one of many periods of poor morale
triggered by an employee rebellion against another former news
director, Sonja Pace.

As head of the newsroom, DeNesnera took VOA's news staff through the
first term of President George W. Bush, who signaled early on his
intention to attempt to reshape VOA into more of a voice of U.S.
policy. In an appearance at VOA, Bush said sent a clear message to
employees that they could not be "neutral", laying the groundwork for
what many VOA journalists saw as the start of a series of actions
supported by conservative and neo-conservative forces to bend VOA
toward sharper support of U.S. policies.

DeNesnera strongly defended the VOA newsroom in the period just after
the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks when VOA's Pashto service
obtained an interview with then Afghan Taliban leader. The State
Department at first criticized the interview, then was forced to
backtrack in the face of support for the VOA News Division, and
DeNesnera personally, from commentators.

DeNesnera also fought a series of battles with VOA management, and his
relations with VOA Director David Jackson were described by
knowledgeable sources within the organization as strained.

Although sources predicted some action in the wake of frequent
tensions between VOA and IBB (International Broadcasting Bureau)
management and Mr. DeNesnera, his removal nonetheless came as a shock
to employees.

It followed by only one day DeNesnera's email notification to
employees complaining about a management decision to eliminate editor
positions in VOA's London bureau, a move DeNesnera called "a blow to
our division" that he "strongly opposed."

As of late Thursday, DeNesnera had not commented to employees in
electronic form on the announcement by VOA Director Jackson, but had
spoken in person to news staff, a number of whom were reported to have
personally gone to Jackson's VOA office to lodge complaints about the
move.

In addition to the removal of DeNesnera, VOA's Pentagon correspondent
Alex Belida was reassigned as Senior Supervising Editor in VOA's News
Center (DX LISTENING DIGEST)

(Following is the text of VOA Director David Jackson's memo):

"The way people around the world get their news and information is
rapidly changing, and that's why it's important for us at the Voice of
America to change the way we provide it to them. For example, our
research shows that even in developing countries, people increasingly
turn to television for information. That's why we've been rapidly
developing new television products for markets where that strategy
offers solid opportunities for audience growth. Our target audiences
also have more choices, which is why we've been working so hard to
make our content fresh, unique, and compelling -- and to make it
available on the medium audiences prefer, whether that's radio,
television, or the Internet. Finally, people want more news about
developments that affect them and their region, whether that news
originates locally or in decisions made in Washington, the most
influential city in the world. That need in particular is behind some
of the changes we're announcing today.

These are formidable challenges, especially in a time of tight budgets
and limited resources. But by adopting the following changes in the
way we produce and distribute news and information, the Voice of
America will be better organized to compete internationally and have
an impact in these historic times.

First, we're reorganizing Central News to accomplish several goals: to
strengthen its ability to more effectively cover the diverse peoples
and cultures to which we broadcast, to maximize our resources, and to
bring our operation more in line with those of other international
news organizations. To that end, the newsroom's shifts will be
tailored to conform to broadcast schedules and focus on the regions
targeted by our language broadcasts during those hours. The result
will be more fresh content for our 44 language services, and on a
schedule that they can plan their broadcasts around.

To oversee these and other changes, a new management structure is
being created. Associate director Ted Iliff, who has broad experience
in managing international radio and television production, will assume
direct supervision of Central News. I have asked Andre de Nesnera, who
has served with distinction as news director for the past four years,
to take the new position of chief diplomatic correspondent, to take
full advantage of his extensive international reporting experience.

The duty editors in Central News will be retitled as supervising
editors, with enhanced authority as part of the shift changes. Veteran
VOA correspondent Alex Belida will be coming to the newsroom as senior
supervising editor. In that role, he will oversee all other
supervising editors and help them in the transition to their new
editorial roles.

Jack Payton remains assignment desk chief. Diane Bradley will continue
to manage the CN staff. Cindy Krasinksi remains Ted Iliff's
administrative manager.

The assignment desk will have expanded hours to better accommodate our
foreign correspondents. Although London will remain as a correspondent
post, London's two editing positions are moving to Washington, where
they will help the desk cover a broader range of hours.

On the subject of correspondents, Kurt Achin has been named the new
VOA correspondent for our new bureau opening in Seoul. Kurt
established his reporting credentials for the job with his performance
for VOA in Hong Kong. We also are planning to open a new bureau in
Jakarta later this year. The correspondent for that position will be
named in the coming weeks.

Central News is also refining its television role with the help of
Steve Frank and his staff. They will soon begin providing a selection
of TV news pieces twice a day on a schedule designed to fit the needs
of our language services which have TV audiences. Following our merger
with Worldnet, integrating television and radio will be an
increasingly important component of how we move forward, and will help
create new opportunities for all staff.

I plan to meet with Central News personnel in the coming days to
discuss these changes. As always, I remain interested in hearing your
ideas and suggestions.

These moves will not only maintain but reinforce VOA's traditionally
high editorial standards. Our content, style, and sourcing practices
are unchanged. What is being changed is an organizational structure
and procedures that have been under study for many months, including
consultations at many levels throughout VOA.

As in every dynamic news organization in the 21st century, today's
announcement does not mean the end of change. We expect to further
adjust and improve our practices and procedures as we settle into our
new post-merger structure. But when today's changes are implemented in
the coming weeks, VOA will be much better prepared to handle the
challenges that face us. I know I can count on your support and
enthusiasm to help us move forward together into the future.

Thank you. David [Jackson, VOA Director] (via DXLD)