[Swprograms] Havel play on Radio Prague

16.09.2004] - Projects

A world première on Radio Prague!
 Vaclav Havel Tuesday 28th September

Guardian Angel
by Vaclav Havel
A stranger barges in and makes himself at home...
he is strangely, indefinably menacing...
how can he know so much about your past...?
a guardian angel, but not from above...

This play is vintage Havel, his only radio play, dating back to the first
half of 1968, when he was at the height of his creative powers. Not long
after it was completed, Soviet tanks brought an end to the reforms of the
Prague Spring, and for two decades the play was left on the shelf.
On Tuesday 28th September 2004 Radio Prague broadcasts Guardian Angel in a
first ever English-language production, in a translation by Paul Wilson
commissioned by Radio Prague.

The production features Gordon Truefitt as the menacing, uninvited guest
Machon and Gerald Turner as the shy and impressionable playwright Vavak. It
is directed by David Vaughan.
Guardian Angel was recorded at Czech Radio's studios in Karlin, Prague in
April 2004, sound engineer: Milos Kot, sound effects: Jiri Litos, sound
editing: Jitka Kundrumova.

Guardian Angel will be broadcast on all our English times and frequencies on
Tuesday 28th September, immediately after our usual news bulletin at the top
of the programme. For more details, consult our frequency schedule.

Source: Czech Radio 7, Radio Prague
(Jonathan Murphy, Ireland, World DX Club email group)