[Swprograms] CCTV International CCTV-9

I accidentally stumbled across a new TV service on the Echostar Dish Network today.  I have no idea how long CCTV has been up on Dish or how long they will be there.  CCTV-9 is a very well produced channel.  They are all in excellent English and ran promos this morning for an equivalent services in French and Spanish.  The programming is quite diversified with on-the-hour newscasts and cultural programs.

In a cultural review program this morning they featured ballet and musical performances curently happening in Beijing.  CCTV-9 seems pretty open minded about program content as they showed an all male ballet troupe visiting Beijing with guys in drag dancing the female parts complete with tu tus and hairy legs.

The weather forecast for China was interesting.  As they showed temperature and weather conditions for each of the major Chinese cities, I noticed they included Taipeh.

Coverage of Asian news was very good and included coverage of the Asian stock markets.

The transmissions are on the Echostar satellite located at 110 degrees on transponder 26.  In the electronic channel guide you will find it on channel 265.  I subscribe to the "Top 120" service from Dish so I do not know if CCTV-9 is available on the lower level program tier.

Joe Buch