E-mail message

Sender: swprograms-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx From:
joseph.buch@xxxxxxx(Joe Buch) Date: Thu, Sep 30, 2004, 9:13am To:
wghauser@xxxxxxxxx, swprograms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [Swprograms]
CCTV International CCTV-9 Reply to: swprograms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(Shortwave programming discussion)
I accidentally stumbled across a new TV service on the Echostar Dish
Network today. I have no idea how long CCTV has been up on Dish or how
long they will be there. CCTV-9 is a very well produced channel. They
are all in excellent English and ran promos this morning for an
equivalent services in French and Spanish. The programming is quite
diversified with on-the-hour newscasts and cultural programs.
In a cultural review program this morning they featured ballet and
musical performances curently happening in Beijing. CCTV-9 seems pretty
open minded about program content as they showed an all male ballet
troupe visiting Beijing with guys in drag dancing the female parts
complete with tu tus and hairy legs.
The weather forecast for China was interesting. As they showed
temperature and weather conditions for each of the major Chinese cities,
I noticed they included Taipeh.
Coverage of Asian news was very good and included coverage of the Asian
stock markets.
The transmissions are on the Echostar satellite located at 110 degrees
on transponder 26. In the electronic channel guide you will find it on
channel 265. I subscribe to the "Top 120" service from Dish so I do not
know if CCTV-9 is available on the lower level program tier.
Joe Buch
URL shown above.