[Swprograms] Re: CBC Magic??

 --- John Figliozzi <jfiglio1@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The Current and Sounds Like Canada seem to suffer from a lack of
resources, but also from a lack of a sound philosophical base and
ideas.

Also, I would add, good interviewing. Anna-Maria is a fairly passive
interviewer, and Bernie is even worse. If they would get someone like
Tim Sebastian on board, it would improve the show immensely.

>It seems that the management of the CBC feels that it must be all
>things to all people in order to protect its publicly derived
>budget.

This of course is one of the classic arguments for what public radio
must do.

> Too bad...using this approach means that most programs lack focus.
> The trend is toward magazines attempting to cast a wide net,
>instead of more sharply designed and focused programs that
> identify a tighter audience.  IMHO, the entire schedule
> should---piece by piece--serve everyone it can; but not each and
>every program.

And this is the other classic argument for the purpose of public
radio. I firmly agree with you here--this argument is the better one.

> But-heh, Peter--I agree with your
> assessment of ABC-RA programming.  That's why I post those
> programming notes twice or three times a week.  :-))  Think it''ll
> ever catch on?

I certainly hope so, esp. since you have been incredibly faithful in
those postings, almost since day 1 of this list's inception!

73,
Peter