[Swprograms] Re: CBC Magic?? (Was: OT: FM, Sirius and RCI)

[Swprograms] Re: CBC Magic?? (Was: OT: FM, Sirius and RCI)

CBC is close in, easier to hear (on medium and short wave, at least)
and trumps much of what we hear on the radio in the States...NPR and
PRI being the notable and sole exceptions, IMHO.  I agree that CBC now
has a lot of mediocre programming.  I chalk this up largely (but not
entirely) to drastic budget cuts over the last two decades.  For
example, the morning fare on CBC Radio One comes nowhere near the
quality of the Morningside years.  But the latter had a huge budget and
put it to good use.  The Current and Sounds Like Canada seem to suffer
from a lack of resources, but also from a lack of a sound philosophical
base and ideas.  It seems that the management of the CBC feels that it
must be all things to all people in order to protect its publicly
derived budget.  Too bad...using this approach means that most programs
lack focus.  The trend is toward magazines attempting to cast a wide
net, instead of more sharply designed and focused programs that
identify a tighter audience.  IMHO, the entire schedule should---piece
by piece--serve everyone it can; but not each and every program.

In short, I think CBC gets exalted by comparison with its close in
competition. (Also, some of the excitement stemmed from the eventual
arrival of CBC Radio One on Sirius.)  But-heh, Peter--I agree with your
assessment of ABC-RA programming.  That's why I post those programming
notes twice or three times a week.  :-))  Think it''ll ever catch on?

John Figliozzi
Halfmoon, NY