[Swprograms] Re: BBC WS to further reduce frequencies to the Americas with A-05 schedule

Richard wrote:

> Ironic story:  about 10-12 years ago John Figliozzi and
> I put out a survey at the SWL Fest (Shame on you, Sandy,
> BTW, for missing the Fest...you're so close...) regarding
> whether or not listeners would pay to hear their favorite
> international broadcaster if funding issues
> cropped up.  The majority of folks surveyed at the Fest
> said yes. What do you know, that's what has happened now,
> though indirectly:  We users pay for satellite radio, and
> public radio in the USA is funded in part by
> direct listener contributions.

I'd be certainly willing to pay for BBCWS, but two issues comes
to mind that have stopped me so far:

- If just adding an hour costs some $30,000+ a year, I don't see
how enough money could be raised from people who would benefit
from that particular hour(s) added back into the schedule.  But
then again maybe the effort, however partial in covering the
costs, would be the message needed more than the raising the
full  amount.

- I'd consider adding satellite (Sirius is the one I'd likely
choose at this point), but that doesn't provide the WorldService
coverage that I'd desire (Info/Entertainment is what I'd want,
not 24-hour News)

In the end, however, I feel hopeless on this one, as we have to
take what we can get.  They aren't listening to us anymore.

Kevin