[Swprograms] Re: [dxld] Why is BBC World Service reducing its short wave provision?

[Swprograms] Re: [dxld] Why is BBC World Service reducing its short wave provision?

Complete and utter b.s. IMHO.

The sales figure for shortwave radios in the US alone is UP each and
every one of the past seven years.  The number being manufactured in
and pumped out of China continues to go up almost exponentially.

The BBC would like everyone to believe that sw listening is down, so it
uses (cleverly, but dishonestly) figures for *its* shortwave audience.
Well, if you've eliminated both North America and Australasia from your
shortwave coverage area (two primary English language regions of the
globe) and reduced the hours you cover the other areas with shortwave,
of course your audience figures for shortwave will go down. It's a
self-serving and self-fulfilling prophecy.

Next week on "Write On", Dilly Barlow will read a raft of letters from
irate listeners once again.  The BBC spokesman will intone (once again)
that these are really a minority of listeners either too old, out of
touch, unimportant or otherwise insignificant to matter.  (Of course,
he'll say it all much nicer that.)

What the "official" BBC won't tell you is that, internally, management
was surprised by the volume, level and depth of protest the BBC
received the last time they did this.  But its management team is
committed--in "non-crisis" regions--to reducing distribution costs by
de-emphasizing high cost methods (like shortwave) and transferring an
increasing amount of those costs to the listener.

The BBC claims that its audience accessing its broadcasts by means
other than shortwave is increasing.  As far as it goes, that's
true--but not to the extent claimed.  The BBC's figures don't
differentiate between a listener who accesses its broadcasts for a few
minutes a week and one who listens for hours a day.  It also tends to
fudge figures reflecting availability by equating overnight broadcasts
via local FM with prime time hours on local radio and an occasional
five minute newscast with the broader info/entertainment service that
characterizes (or characterized) its shortwave service.

It is interesting to observe that, as the BBC reduces global access to
its broadcasts, China Radio International is dramatically increasing
such access by actively embracing ALL distribution methods, including
shortwave.  Shortwave hours and relays targeting NA by CRI are up just
as dramatically as BBC hours are down.  And CRI's use of the internet,
satellite (including WRN on Sirius Satellite Radio) and local (FM)
placement also has increased.  There is even talk that CRI is planning
to inaugurate a 24 hour English language news service in direct
competition to the BBC.

I'm sure the rather smug management at Bush House will chuckle at all
this and shrug it off.  But I wouldn't be surprised if, while the BBC
is dithering and dicing up audiences, CRI begins to eat the BBC's lunch
in North America.  Call it "Old Europe Makes Way for New Asia".  While
the BBC steadily abandons and discards the public service broadcasting
principles it historically created, perfected and nurtured, CRI seems
to--more and more--be embracing those very principles.

JMHO

John Figliozzi
Halfmoon, NY