[Swprograms] Re: Why is BBC World Service reducing its short wave provision?

[Swprograms] Re: Why is BBC World Service reducing its short wave provision?

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 13:46:26 +0000, Mike Barraclough
<mikewb@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > John Figliozzi <jfiglio1@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
> > I'm sure the rather smug management at Bush House will chuckle at all
> > this and shrug it off.  But I wouldn't be surprised if, while the BBC
> > is dithering and dicing up audiences, CRI begins to eat the BBC's lunch
> > in North America.  Call it "Old Europe Makes Way for New Asia".  While
> > the BBC steadily abandons and discards the public service broadcasting
> > principles it historically created, perfected and nurtured, CRI seems
> > to--more and more--be embracing those very principles.
>
> Which public service broadcasting principles is CRI embracing???

Yeah, it is a bit difficult for me too to see CRI as a public service
broadcaster. Perhaps, John, you could let us know how you define a
public service broadcaster, and how this relates to CRI.

For my money, I'll take a small amount of BBCWS over a large amount of
CRI any day.

I think that the former is in a league of its own--nobody even comes
near to its comprehensive and intensive programming. Nobody. Perhaps
Radio National would be its nearest competitor, but they would come
distant second.

Other good shortwave choices, though, would include Radio Netherlands,
RFI, and Radio Sweden (who I think are under-appreciated). Perhaps it
is time to consider good alternatives to the BBCWS for those who
prefer shortwave over other methods of delivery.

I think that it is only a matter of time before the Beeb drops sw to
NAm completely. Yes, we can and should do what we can to stop and/or
reverse this,  as miracles do happen. But I think our fate has been
sealed for good. Given past experience, I can't see the BBCWS folks
backing down on a decision like this. Nor can I see them stopping
here. (But I will).

73,
Peter