[Swprograms] Re: [dxld] Why is BBC World Service reducing its short wave provision?

[Swprograms] Re: [dxld] Why is BBC World Service reducing its short wave provision?

Hi Dave:

I think there's a certain aspect of people believing what they want to
believe in all this--including those who might agree with me.  While it
is said that audience research bears out what you say, there is no
where for you and me (as regular, everyday listeners) to access this
research because it's all been deemed proprietary. The conclusions are
public, but the methods, raw data, etc. are not. So I have no way to
assess whether the BBC is telling the truth or not in this regard.
Perhaps you've chosen to believe them.  I'm not so trusting.  Some
"research" is emerging that shortwave usage is on an upswing.  But I
don't have access to that either.  Which to believe?

FWIW, I think you're correct if you're speaking of the urban areas.
Shortwave use is down there, I think (but certainly not out). That's an
intuitive conclusion simply based on the introduction of more
alternatives. But everyone does not live near or in a major city.  Now
if the BBC wants to say that it has no interest in serving people
outside major cities, that's their prerogative I suppose.  But that
sort of attitude is not one that I usually associate with a public
service broadcaster.

As to what people use a radio for, I think your assessment is a guess
at best.  The fact is that if a radio has a shortwave band, there's at
least a chance that it will be used. Heck, if the BBC had spent as much
time, expense and effort promoting its availability on shortwave as it
has its recent use of the internet and local placement...  well, you
can finish that sentence.

Far from just reflecting reality, the BBC is attempting to create it.
Given its influence in international broadcasting circles, it can do
that.  I think it's efforts have been disingenuous at best and not in
keeping with the best practices of an international public broadcaster.

John