[Swprograms] Re: Why is BBC World Service reducing its short wave provision?

[Swprograms] Re: Why is BBC World Service reducing its short wave provision?

Hi again....

I thought my statements that came after that backed it up, but...

Of course, if an audience has more alternatives, then each of the
alternatives will be shared.  And that will reduce what was once the
only medium to some fraction of the whole.  So?

Also if you shut off shortwave to whole regions of the world (I think I
mentioned North America and Australasia--not just NA; but you could add
Europe as well); of course your shortwave audience will decline.  So?

My point is that--yes, reduce the resources you devote to that formerly
single means (ie: shortwave) in a measured, practical way.  But turn it
off completely to a region?  Why?  There is so much excess capacity on
shortwave relay transmitters that time can be bought for one frequency
close in to the target area for peanuts.  And by keeping some
capacity--even limited capacity--you continue to serve your
audience...ALL of it.

No, I'm sorry.  The evidence at hand says that this is a campaign on
the part of the BBC, not merely a reaction to changing realities on the
ground.

I do heartily agree with your last paragraph.

John