[Swprograms] Re: [dxld] Why is BBC World Service reducing its short wave provision?

[Swprograms] Re: [dxld] Why is BBC World Service reducing its short wave provision?

Hello Mike.

To be fair, please re-read what I said.  I used the words "more and
more".  Certainly, I don't think that CRI's commitment to public
service broadcasting principles with respect to the way it reports the
news is at or near the BBC's level at this point.  But if one looks at
where CRI and its predecessors were just a short time ago and where CRI
is now, there is a qualitative and quantitative improvement. While I
agree that CRI falls woefully short on reporting on problems within the
country, I've observed that there are an increasing number of reports
and features on CRI that do point out problems like pollution, poverty
and joblessness in the cities, disagreements among domestic experts,
and unrest among some social groups and classes. I think that this can
be said to a trend, but we can disagree on that.

Another aspect of those public service broadcasting principles,
however, is a desire to serve as many audiences and audience segments
as possible.  By their respective recent actions in this regard, CRI is
demonstrating a far greater commitment to that effort than the BBC has
of late.  The BBC makes much of its desire to serve elites--"opinion
formers" is the word their publicity uses I believe.  And its service
approach appears to reflect that view.  Shortwave listeners--even those
who have been a loyal component of the Beeb's audience for decades--are
deemed expendable.  "If you want us, move--but we couldn't care less
one way or the other because the fact that you use shortwave must mean
that you are not an 'opinion former'". Of course, they'll say it much
nicer than that--but listen to Write On next weekend and tell me you
don't hear echoes of what I just said in their replies to listener
complaints.  "We're right and you're wrong" will be the subtext "and
we're not changing course."

OTOH, CRI seems to believe that any segment of the target population
has the capacity to either be or become an "opinion former".  So its
approach is to use all the distribution methods at its service.  CRI's
hours on shortwave to NA and everywhere else is up, as is its internet,
satellite and local placement efforts.  Is the quality of its
programming as high as the BBC's?  No, not close.  But it is improving.
  And what good is the quality of your programming if people can't
access it conveniently or in the manner they are most likely and easily
to use?

This is not a matter of money.  The WS is swimming in it and its budget
has gone up annually by huge amounts of late.  It's a matter of
choices.  On that score, the BBC can be criticized and it should be.

John