[Swprograms] Re: Why is BBC World Service reducing its shortave provision

[Swprograms] Re: Why is BBC World Service reducing its shortave provision

Somewhat frustratingly, it appears that Arabic TV is the budgetary
beneficiary from the reduction in shortwave utilization.

While the BBC could have a retainer agreement in place with VT Merlin
(or whatever they're called nowadays) to have backup SW capacity
available in case of international crisis, will people have retained
their shortwave radios?  Will subsequent generations have a clue as to
how shortwave works?  As I think Mr. Bowen said, when a crisis occurs
will people then have this backup technology available precisely at a
time it's needed?  Would a government, in time of crisis, potentially
ban the purchase of new SW radios?

John commented earlier on the fact that the BBCWS appears to apply a
fair amount of "spin" to their audience research process.  It's
entirely within their prerogative to do so, but it's entirely within
our prerogative to read between the lines and call out the missing
logic.

This is why I'd personally rather see stations maintain at least one
frequency up & running to a target area -- even DW.  For example with
the BBC, take 5975 kHz.  For most of eastern North America, that
frequency works reasonably well most evenings.  Not all, for sure, but
most.  Better to work reasonably well most nights than not at all on
all nights.

Put differently, I agree that, at some point, you reach the point
where the SW audience doesn't justify the SW service.  I just don't
think we're there yet, at least not in the USA.

Richard Cuff / Allentown, PA  USA