E-mail message

Sender: swprograms-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx From:
joseph.buch@xxxxxxx(Joe Buch) Date: Sat, Mar 26, 2005, 7:31am To:
swprograms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, wghauser@xxxxxxxxx Subject: [Swprograms] GM
To Aid Mobile SWL's Reply to: swprograms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Shortwave
programming discussion)
As the casette tape sinks slowly below the western horizon, and most new
autos no longer offer casette tape players, it has become harder for us
to enjoy shortwave programming while hurtling down the expressway. The
casette-type adapters we once used to connect our portable radios to the
car audio system will soon have no hole to plug into. GM has come to the
rescue by introducing an auxilliary audio input mini-jack on the dash of
some 2006 models. Now you can connect the earphone jack of your SW radio
or MP3 player directly to the car's audio system. (This assumes GM will
still be in business by 2006; there will still be some short-wave
programming worth listening to in 2006; and, signal levels from
off-pointed transmit antennas will still be sufficient to overcome
highway power line noise and BPL pollution by that time.)
>From the GM press release:
Warren, MI - Music lovers will find it easier to take their favorite
tunes on the road thanks to a new family of radios that will debut on
the Chevy HHR and other GM vehicles starting later this year.
The new radios include an auxiliary channel and front-mounted auxiliary
input jack, so that an iPod or other audio source can be easily plugged
in and played through the vehicle audio system.
"The Chevy HHR will help launch a new family of radios that will bring
iPod connectivity to a broad range of GM vehicles," said Paul Nadeau,
director, infotainment displays and controls, for GM Engineering. "We
think the ability to easily connect an iPod or other audio source
directly into the vehicle audio system will be a big hit with
customers."
Radios featuring the new auxiliary input jack will debut starting in
late spring. They will be standard equipment on 2006 models of the Chevy
HHR, Impala and Monte Carlo; Saturn VUE and ION; Pontiac Solstice; Buick
Lucerne; and Cadillac DTS. The radios will be fitted to other new GM
models over the next several years.
Auxiliary audio inputs in the console of GM vehicles equipped with DVD
players also allow an iPod or other source to be played through the
vehicle sound system using a simple adapter cord.
"General Motors has a long tradition of leading with technology that
provides real benefits to our customers," said Mark LaNeve, GM North
America vice president, sales, service and marketing. "We are excited to
be part of the iPod revolution by offering our customers an easy way to
play their favorite music in their GM cars and trucks."
Joe Buch
URL shown above.