[Swprograms] Re: Incredible Arrogance

>Both organisations agree that television is a >necessary ingredient of
this process

I don't think it is much a matter of helping
"Western ideas and ideals better resonate with the cultures of the
Middle East" as much as the US (at least) roaring into that part of the
world  and saying "you MUST accept our version of democracy and this is
how you are going to do it."  Remember when TV Marti started? Similar
situation. And the recent rhetoric about the so-called "concerns" about
(alleged) eroding "democracy" in Russia....ditto.

<sigh> The US has a LOT to learn. We just can't continue to be the
world's bully. What is happening is that the US is showing a basic lack
of UNDERSTANDING of cultures, traditions and peoples of other lands.

And that is where shortwave can be a great educator.

Just my opinion-mileage may vary.