[Swprograms] Fwd: sorta OT: CPB meddling in PBS editorial policy

[Swprograms] Fwd: sorta OT: CPB meddling in PBS editorial policy

It may be instructive to recall the outcry when Mr. Gingrich suggested
eliminating the CPB
back in 1996.

However it would likely be an even bigger outcry if we were to remove
the implicit Congressional oversight and instead make the CPB a public
corporation a la the BBC, with a license fee funding mechanism.  Maybe
we need to add a line item to IRS Form 1040 which allows for an
individual checkoff ("...would you like to donate $3 from your return
to support public broadcasting...").

Interesting comment in Joe's reference regarding Tucker Carlson, he of
the recent Jon Stewart spat.

How does Canada with the CBC avoid this temptation?

Richard Cuff / Allentown, PA  USA

<snip>