Re: [Swprograms] (no subject)

BBC America is carried on the digital cable tier by Time Warner here.
I had noticed that the channel recently started carrying a full 3 hour
block of BBC World News between and 6 and 9 am ET.  My initial
reaction beyond welcoming it was "What took you so long?"

In the past, BBC-A had carried half hour newscasts only during the
morning hours (and 6 pm in the evening) interspersed with repeats of a
nighttime talk show and, later, a film review program.  For years,
I've e-mailed BBC-A asking why they take so little product from BBC
World News which--to me--seemed a natural placement in the U.S.
Judging from the release below, gaining access to BBC World News is
not so easy I supposed.  This would appear to be a business
transaction between two "arms" of the BBC--perhaps one public and one
commercial.  Evidently, the asking price for the commercially-oriented
BBC-A (which was a joint venture with Discovery Networks, I believe,
and may still be) was too high previously.

On another score, they claim that we Americans have experienced a 40%
rise in demand for international news?  Well, 40% from what?  And just
who is doing the demanding?  And just how do they determine these
things?  It all seems too facile to skeptical eye.

John Figliozzi
Halfmoon, NY