Re: [Swprograms] OT: Digital radio market study

Re: [Swprograms] OT: Digital radio market study

Yeah, but...

I took the plunge and bought an HD Radio.  It's clear to me that the
reason satellite radio remains the digital radio of choice is because
it's bothered to present and develop a number of innovative formats,
as well as serve traditionally underserved markets.

In contrast, what I'm hearing on HD Radio with only a few, limited
exceptions is much of the same stuff we've been hearing on terrestrial
radio for years.  The large group owners of our land-based and
community-based radio stations don't seem to want to commit the
resources and imagination necessary to effectively diversify their
offerings and compete or--in the alternative--serve the unique needs
of each local audience.  Doing the latter would appear to be
especially effective against a national service like satellite.

So until the group owners stick a crowbar in their collective wallets
and actually do what their licenses say they should be doing,
satellite will have this field mostly to themselves.  There's just not
enough out there (yet?) on digital AM/FM to justify spending at least
a hundred to several hundred dollars for a new receiver to get
essentially the same product I can get now with a $15 or $20 radio.
The fact that the sound is marginally more pleasing just doesn't
effectively fill this gap.

John Figliozzi
Halfmoon, NY