Re: [Swprograms] Radio Moscow and the concept of Internet mindshare

Re: [Swprograms] Radio Moscow and the concept of Internet mindshare

Radio Moscow was my station as I was cutting my eye teeth on SW Radio.  Joe McCarthy was raping Hollywood and Washington DC and here I was a teenage kid grooving on the idea that I could partake of the forbidden fruit for only $39 which my Hallicrafters S-38B cost me.  Of course that was back in the days when $39 was real money.

I remember hearing Paul Robeson do "Old Man River" for the first time on Radio Moscow.  He chose to live in Russia after being excommunicated from Hollywood for his communist leanings.  Radio Moscow loved to rub it in periodically that they supported this persecuted black man that the racist, capitalist dogs had kicked out.

Great fun, as a teenager, getting to taste of the forbidden fruit which Joe McCarthy never found out about.  Neither did J. Edgar Hoover.  So SW had the added advantage of hiding the identity of those who were tasting Senator McCarthy's forbidden fruit in contrast to today where Big Brother can easily trace who is listening to what via the inernet. Now maybe you understand why the FCC tried to jam SW radio with BPL garbage.  If they could force you to listen via the internet, they could find out who the bad guys are.

I got my security clearance which I held for 35 years in 1960.  Would not have happened if I had been listening via the internet most likely.  "Beware young lovers whoever you are", in the words of an old song.

Joe Buch