Re: [Swprograms] Cuts at the CBC

Budget slashed 80%, shortwave and newsrooms cut
    from     http://rciaction.org/blog/2012/04/04/budget-slashed-shortwave-and-newsrooms-to-be-eliminated/
Filed under UPDATE by Admin RCI Action on April 4, 2012 at 21:12 no comments

RCI Director Hilhne Parent informs staff of the impact of the huge cut to RCI's budget and services, April 4, 2012.
Sad  day at Radio Canada International today (April 4, 2012) as Canada.s national public radio and television broadcaster CBC/Radio-Canada announced the impact of budget cutbacks on RCI.

The main points:

Radio Canada International.s $12.2 million dollar budget will be slashed by 10 million, leaving only $2.2 million. [Revised April 5: $12.3 and $2.3 million]

Two thirds of staff will be eliminated, leaving maybe 16, 20 perhaps 25 people.

Newscasts and newsrooms will be eliminated.

Shortwave broadcasting will be dropped, our work will now be limited to the web site.

The Russian service and the Brazilian program eliminated.

It.s being billed as a .transformation. . I think we would use other words. More details soon.

Suggestions, comments, questions welcome at:

rciaction@xxxxxxxx

We are working on an action plan . should be able to provide details within a few days.

Thanks for your support!