Re: [Swprograms] Digital radio news

Is there a prohibition for stations to lease their HD-2 and HD-3 in a manner similar to FM subcarrier stations? Otherwise, that could be a model.

On the public radio side, HD is actually a good fit for stations that had bifurcated formats. Transition to single formats in public radio has been a very strong trend over the past twenty years...often to the great dismay of fans of the replaced programming. Now, a public station can have news on the main channel, classical or jazz on HD-2 and BBC or similar on three.

I like HD from a listener's (not a dx'ers) standpoint. The ease of flipping through WNYC's three stations on one freq is cool. Plus, the Sony XDR series HD radios are wonderful. They're no longer made, bec. it didn't turn into a viable product for Sony as there is very little awareness of HD among listeners. In my own highly scientific personal poll, I have never encountered a non-radio person who knew what HD was...(outside of my beleaguered family.)