Re: [Swprograms] Digital radio news

David, I surmise that stations aren't interested in doing that unless
a gun were held to their heads.

SCA is different - it doesn't directly compete with the principal
station's programming.

Look at the situation up in Buffalo - Entercom is the dominant player,
and parks ESPN on its 50 kW WWKB transmitter at the same time it
operates its own locally-originated sports format on 5 kW WGR.  You'd
think the squandered opportunity to put a meaningful format on WWKB
would annoy shareholders, but Entercom is loath to sell the 1520 WWKB
frequency as it would introduce a new competitor or strengthen an
existing one.

As our colleague Mr. Figliozzi would point out, this points out a
significant flaw in our commercial radio licensing model - the fact
that spectrum space is a publicly owned asset, and should be managed
to maximize the public good, is lost on the FCC and the rest of our
government

RC