From: Swprograms [mailto:swprograms-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ted
S.
Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2014 9:50 PM
To: Shortwave programming discussion
Subject: Re: [Swprograms] Digital radio news

On Thu, 9 Jan 2014 21:16:41 -0500, in shortwave you wrote:

> Two examples of this come to mind. A few months before the digital
> changeover I had a meeting with an executive at one of the Columbus TV
> stations. Ostensibly, I was there to talk sports programming and
> promotion. I asked him: "so what is W***-TV going to do with their
> sub-channels?" Answer: "We have no idea so we'll probably just
> temporarily fill it with old shows and news feeds for now." Three and
> a half years on, "temporarily" is now "permanently" and this is a
> locally owned and well-run station.

One of my other interests is game shows, and I'm a member of an internet board
dedicated to game shows, both new and old.  There's a substantial percentage of
the membership there that likes the nostalgia TV channels like Me-TV and Antenna
TV.

I also like having a digital sub-channel that cycles through various
weather/radar maps, which I find particularly useful any time there's a
thunderstorm and I don't really want to fire up the computer, or a heavy enough
snow storm that I worry about the satellite internet getting blocked.

--
Ted Schuerzinger
fedya at hughes dot net