[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 16

These are some podcasts from international and public radio sources that I've found particularly interesting and edifying as I'm "plodding along" in my regular exercise regimen.

In addition to via the websites referenced, these podcasts generally are made available through several other popular internet sources such as iTunes and TuneIn.

------------------------------

SPECTRUM - Radio New Zealand National
Kilts Never Die
David Steemson drops in on kilt maker Eric Von Hurst who learned the craft when he was a young man in the Canadian army. He’s one of only two certified kilt makers in New Zealand. Each kilt contains a single run of fabric eight metres long, imported from Scotland and the whole thing is created by hand. (22')
http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/spectrum/20140727

UNDER THE INFLUENCE - CBC Radio One
Selling Death
While death is usually a forbidden word in advertising, the subject of death is slowly becoming more mainstream. We'll look at the one industry that truly specializes in it - the funeral business. From QR codes on headstones, to live cams on caskets, to fish reefs made from your ashes, funeral homes are starting to market brand new services to attract customers. We'll also look at the recent popularity of death as entertainment, with the record-breaking audiences for The Walking Dead and a certain reality show called "Best Funeral Ever." (28')
http://www.cbc.ca/undertheinfluence/season-3/2014/05/17/selling-death-1/

REAR VISION - ABC RN
Central American Child Immigrants
Almost 57,000 unaccompanied minors from Central America have been apprehended at the US border since the beginning of this year, the largest number from Honduras, followed by El Salvador and Guatemala.  Most media discussions have focused on the gang culture and violence that is the immediate cause of their flight. On Rear Vision this week we look at why and how gang culture is flourishing in Central America.  (30')
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/rearvision/central-american-child-immigrants/5639050

REAR VISION - ABC RN
Illegal Immigration in the USA
It's estimated that 12-million people now live in the United States as undocumented migrants.  Rear Vision looks at the history of illegal immigration and why US governments on both sides of politics have failed to find a solution. (30')
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/rearvision/illegal-immigration-in-the-usa/5646076