[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 17

These are some podcasts from international and public radio sources that I've found particularly interesting and edifying as I'm "plodding along" in my regular exercise regimen.

In addition to via the websites referenced, these podcasts generally are made available through several other popular internet sources such as iTunes and TuneIn.

------------------------------

IN OUR TIME - BBC Radio 4
The Philosophy of Solitude
The state of being alone can arise for many different reasons: imprisonment, exile or personal choice. It can be prompted by religious belief, personal necessity or a philosophical need for solitary contemplation. Many thinkers have dealt with the subject, from Plato and Aristotle to Hannah Arendt. It's a philosophical tradition that takes in medieval religious mystics, the work of Montaigne and Adam Smith, and the great American poets of solitude Thoreau and Emerson. (48')
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b046ntnz

DOWNLOAD THIS SHOW - ABC RN
Is Facebook Messenger evil? Plus TouchPico and Swivelcard
Why does Facebook's new Messenger app demand the power to change your network status and turn on your microphone? It's sent the internet into a rage but is it really the phone manufacturers forcing Facebook to make these changes. We also examine why more brands are consciously uncoupling their functions by releasing a suite of apps instead one mothership app. We trial out the new gadget that can turn any flat surface into a touch screen - how does it work? And what on earth would you use it for? Finally, can you turn a piece of paper into a USB stick? (28')
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/downloadthisshow/dts282014/5671082

THE BODY SPHERE - ABC RN
Locked In
What do you most fear happening to you? Maybe it's being buried alive. Maybe it's losing your mind. Or maybe it's being trapped inside your own body with no ability to move or communicate. This is what happened to former US police officer Richard Marsh. A massive stroke shut down his body. He listened while his wife and doctors discussed turning off his life support, completely unable to let them know he could see, hear and feel—and didn't want to die.  (29')
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/bodysphere/locked/5678442