Re: [Swprograms] Links to info on BBC streaming changes and effort to Restore Internet feeds

I believe one of the commenters corrected the author to the effect that HLS is fMP4. In fact, I recall the author stating elsewhere that HDS and HLS are both variants of fMP4. That article is good, but it's far from definitive as the comments reveal. I offered it as strictly an entry point into a quite murky subject.

The suggestion that the BBC is moving too precipitously certainly gives me a strong sense of deja vue. We were both around to witness them all but abandon HF 20 years ago so why is their latest spasmodic move surprising? I'm not excusing such sudden decisions, only saying those decisions do bear some reasoning. Like anything else involving humans, the 'Net is rife with contradictions. I said the 'Net aspires to efficiency, and that's true enough. Yet, it is also a place full of inertia. That's why we're still on IPV4. There are entities like Google that become very frustrated with the Internet's relatively glacial rate of innovation, and those organizations occasionally set off metaphorical "tact nukes" to force the 'Net off its "lard-butt." I'm positing that the BBC might be doing something similar, even if it's acting from a faulty assumption.

As for Sonos, I understand that system is upgradeable. The catch is that only the manufacturer can do it. Another example of "lard-buttius."