Re: [Swprograms] BBC licence fee could be means tested under Government charter renewal plans - Telegraph

Rich,

Most of us probably remember when WS had Div I matches on Saturday and
Sunday, before the Premier League and programming right was even an issue.

I think the only footy that BBC covers anymore (and someone can correct me
if I¹m wrong) are some select FA Cup matches, which at best are blacked
out on 5 Live streams.

Today, the sums that Sky and BT are shelling out are somewhat absorbed by
advertising revenue on TV. That would have to be recouped at the BBC via
their UK-only licensing fee.

I may be mixing radio and TV metaphors here, but therein lies another part
of the problem: Brits would be paying a much larger licensing fee for the
whole world if audio were broadcast on the WS again - that part would
clearly have to change.

What¹s interesting is that part of the issue here is why broadcasting
rights are so high to begin with, something that they also dealt with in
Spain recently (all of La Liga was on strike because of a rights
disagreement).

Mark