Re: [Swprograms] [Internetradio] Fwd: [Swlfest] The Fight for the Future of NPR

Yeah, there are some parallels to be sure between the decline in shortwave usage by âdedicatedâ international broadcasters and the challenges posed to NPR, its stations and affiliates.  In my view, this is simply because the distribution outlets have expanded to a number of platforms, some of which prove to be a more efficient access point for certain âcustomersâ.  Older listeners have a comfortable relationship with the established platforms like shortwave and traditional terrestrial radio.  So, many of them figure âWhy should I change?â  Itâs a young personâs world in many ways, though; and there will always be those that will cater to the newcomers especially if the newcomers seem to trend away from what us oldsters would term âthe tried and trueâ.  It has always been thus.  It just happens on a faster rotation today â or so it seems.

Tom, I was surprised to read that you have no affinity for podcasts.  Do you not like the option to listen when youâre ready to listen instead of having to make an appointment to do so?  Or is it just public radio and podcasting content in general however it is distributed that fails to meet your expectations?

John Figliozzi
Sarasota, FL