[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 30

I, like you perhaps, hear of a number of programs that I would love to listen to, if only I had the time to actually sit down in one place for a set time and just listen.  Most radio listening takes place in the car or while doing other things that allow freedom for the ear, but not the eyes and hands.  Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.  My âprimetime listeningâ has become my (almost) daily exercise regimeâwalking as briskly as I can in my own and surrounding neighborhoods for several miles.  Without access to podcasts/radio program listening, I would soon lose interest in the physical activity no matter how good it is for my health.  Hence, âPodding Alongâ.

Apart from the originating programâs web site, most programs are made available through any number of other amalgamation sources such as iTunes and TuneIn.

ââ

âAgrippina the Youngerâ
IN OUR TIME - BBC Radio 4
Agrippina the Younger was one of the most notorious and influential of the Roman empresses in the 1st century AD. She was the sister of the Emperor Caligula, a wife of the Emperor Claudius and mother of the Emperor Nero. Through careful political manoeuvres, she acquired a dominant position for herself in Rome. In 39 AD she was exiled for allegedly participating in a plot against Caligula and later it was widely thought that she killed Claudius with poison. When Nero came to the throne, he was only 16 so Agrippina took on the role of regent until he began to exert his authority. After relations between Agrippina and Nero soured, he had her murdered. (43â)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b074yzwk

ââBBC Trust chair Rona Fairhead, 'Tips' when interviewing will.i.am, Press freedom v privacyâ
THE MEDIA SHOW - BBC Radio 4
- Some weeks ago, Sir David Clementi said the current regulatory model of the BBC Trust, was 'flawed and that a unitary board should run the BBC. Since then, John Whittingdale, the culture secretary, has said if board members were appointed by the government, that this would not compromise the independence of the BBC. However, the current chair of the BBC Trust, Rona Fairhead, has concerns. Steve Hewlett talks to her about whether the Clementi model is really the best model, the importance of the BBC retaining its independence, and why she thinks the White Paper on the future of the BBC, initially due out in March, needs to be published as soon as possible.
- A three page list of "tips for maximising your interview time" with the popstar will.i.am were given to journalists interviewing him recently, dictating what can and cannot be discussed, and offering advice for when to ask the most important questions. Is this level of involvement from celebrity PRs helpful or meddling in journalism? Steve Hewlett talks to Telegraph writer Harry Wallop who was the recipient of the 'tip' checklist.
- The Sun on Sunday has lost a court battle to print a story about a celebrity's alleged threesome on the grounds their children deserve protection. It's raised concerns amongst press freedom advocates that this defence will be used by claimants more frequently, and offer those with children carte blanche to act in any way they want, with immunity from press coverage. Steve Hewlett discusses the issues with lawyers Sara Mansoori from Matrix Chambers and Mark Stephens from Howard Kennedy. Plus, editor of the Press Gazette Dominic Ponsford explains his concerns about the potential impact on journalism.  (30â)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b075mdvw

Good listening!

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide"
New 7th edition now available from Universal Radio, Amazon and W5YI.com