[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 32

Most radio listening takes place in the car or while doing other things that allow freedom for the ear, but not the eyes and hands.  Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.
Apart from the originating programâs web site, most programs are made available through any number of other amalgamation sources such as iTunes and TuneIn.  Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  Here are a few worthy suggestions.

ââ

âDefault Worldâ
THE DOCUMENTARY - BBC World Service
The technology of the internet is changing our lives irrevocably. But machines are made by man, and the model of life, these modems, smart phones, connected homes, virtual reality and predictive algorithms fit the imagined way of living. How are the ethics, philosophy and lifestyles of the internet pioneers determining the way we all live? Do we have any choice but to live the way they live, or rage against what? The machine? David Baker travels to Silicon Valley to find out what shapes those who are shaping the way we live. (50â)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03p31h4

âIdentityâ
THE WHY FACTOR - BBC World Service
Who are you? Did you choose your identity or was it given to you? Mike Williams asks how our identities are created and if that shapes the way we see the world, and the way the world sees us. (18â)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03nzsw2

âPolitics, Philanthropy and Invisible Soldiers"
LATE NIGHT LIVE - ABC Radio National
- Laura Tingle reports on the latest news in Australian politics. As the election looms, polls show the Coalition going backwards and a tough budget anchored by a company tax cut won't help.
- The future of the philanthropy business.  US Foundations donated US$95 million to the Australian not-for-profit sector in the years 2011 - 2013. What projects are they supporting here in Australia and why?
- Does terrorism work?  The contemporary lessons of the struggle for Israel 1917-1947 with leading terrorism expert, Professor Bruce Hoffman.
(54â)
http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/rn/podcast/2016/04/lnl_20160406.mp3

Good listening!

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide"
New 7th edition now available from Universal Radio, Amazon and W5YI.com